Cedar apple rust

JimFromTN

Has anyone every had to deal with this? I planted apple trees where there are allot of cedar trees in the area. I have heard that it can be spread to pears as well but don't know for sure thats a fact. I have not seen any sign of it but was wondering if I should do any preventive spraying. I have read where you should cut down every cedar you can but thats not going to take care of the cedars on adjacent properties. I have also seen very productive apple trees in areas with cedars before. Just not sure if this is something I need to worry about.

WTM

other than cutting every cedar down within a mile, spray with a fungicide. i spray my fruit trees with fungicide regardless.

also if you have resistant variety apples it may not matter. if you know what varieties you have you may want to research to see if you have those.

WTM

i use different fungicides for whatever i am trying to prevent or cure. CAPTAN does no good for cedar rust. if you have known cedar apples use immunox(not the plus for ornamentals) and some people use sulfur. during dormant or pre dormant you can use a copper fungicide. i also use neem oil(its organic but must be used on a regular schedule).

here are a couple of pubs from UT that should help you decide what you need to use.

https://extension.tennessee.edu/publica ... PB1622.pdf

https://ag.tennessee.edu/EPP/Extension% ... 20Rust.pdf

Hunter 257W

I've never done anything except eat the apples rust and all. It doesn't affect the taste and is only a problem if you want blemish free apples to sell in my opinion.

TnHoss

I had a tree covered in Rust and tried several different fungicides but none worked untill I tried Immunox and after a couple of sprayings it cleared up. I also had some Red Flame seedless grapes with black spot and it cleared it up as well. Good stuff.