Caught a Variety Pack This Week

JCDEERMAN

Amen on the MB550 along with the disposable stakes. If I get the traps new I will wash them to get the factory grease off and set them this season. At end of season they will have rusted a tad then I wash with vinegar and coat with full metal jacket.

I just purchased some drags. I'm going to see how many I loose(ha!)
What does the FMJ, dyes and wax do and is it a necessity?

JhnDeereMan

2-Step Enabled
What does the FMJ, dyes and wax do and is it a necessity?
It is not a necessity to dip/wax or dye your traps. However the metal of the traps will have odors that will deter most animals. Basically this is just another step to increase your odds of a catch.
The dye(in my case boiling in walnut hulls) takes the shine out of the metal. The wax/dip then acts as a sealant to seal in any odors of the trap. FMJ is almost like a Kevlar when it dries. Milky white rubbery texture.
One note when boiling in walnut hulls. After boiling take more water and dump in the pot to roll the top half of the water out of your container onto the ground. When you boil the oils from the traps rises to the top and if you pull the traps back out through that you have accomplished nothing. Oil is right back on the trap.

JCDEERMAN

It is not a necessity to dip/wax or dye your traps. However the metal of the traps will have odors that will deter most animals. Basically this is just another step to increase your odds of a catch.
The dye(in my case boiling in walnut hulls) takes the shine out of the metal. The wax/dip then acts as a sealant to seal in any odors of the trap. FMJ is almost like a Kevlar when it dries. Milky white rubbery texture.
One note when boiling in walnut hulls. After boiling take more water and dump in the pot to roll the top half of the water out of your container onto the ground. When you boil the oils from the traps rises to the top and if you pull the traps back out through that you have accomplished nothing. Oil is right back on the trap.
Great info - thanks!

I saw a video on getting the oil off the top layer of water after boiling. They guy did it by rubbing the top layer of water with a couple paper towels, I believe, to soak up all those oils. Pouring it out like you mentioned would probably be more viable.

wildlifefarmer

There are many ways to clean, dye, and wax traps. All I do with new traps is to wash in hot/warm water with a touch of Dawn. Rinse with Hose. Let dry in sun for about a day or until there is a light coat of rust starts to form. Then I dip them in FMJ two times. Your ready to throw them in the ground. Before next season, wash in vingar and water mixture to get rust and dirt off. Rinse with hose,dry and then apply FMJ. EASY!!

JCDEERMAN

Good deal. I've got a dozen 550's on the way. I plan on boiling in dawn, let them sit for a couple days, then boil with some walnut hulls, set out for a few days, then put them out. I'll clean, dye and wax when needed for next go round. I need to do the same for my DP's when I pull them at the end of the season.

Latest posts