Caught a Variety Pack This Week

JhnDeereMan

2-Step Enabled
Had 3 coyotes , 2 cats, red fox and then the normal opossums and raccoons. Snow helped a little Wednesday. Maybe this will save a few turkeys.
499D4920-76DB-4926-A11B-1D94DB27FE93.jpeg
982869A3-A9A6-4AE5-9D99-A7BFF3601F65.jpeg
BD24A734-6E6A-4F5C-9ABE-ACC4382A965B.jpeg
AF4F12A4-53D6-4014-AE9D-FEF8584B12ED.jpeg
0DE72A9D-AF60-4F1F-8705-F08EFC852559.jpeg
BDCE2830-315D-4476-B57A-43E79AC05516.jpeg

JhnDeereMan

2-Step Enabled
Awesome job. Would love to catch a cat myself. Caught everything else, but no cat yet.
Ideally you have to be where you have seen bobcats before. Or at least their droppings. Cats are always very near to the thickest, nastiest, overgrown areas you have. You can't block a cat in like you do for a coyote. A walkthrough set is dynamite for a cat. I put sticks on each side of the trap leading back 2-3 feet to funnel the cat right to the trap. I then put a stick on each side of the trap jaws(Perpendicular to the funnel sticks) where they have to step over onto the pan. Then a duck wing on a string above it 4-5 feet with some lure on the wing and you are ready.

Ideally you have to be where you have seen bobcats before. Or at least their droppings. Cats are always very near to the thickest, nastiest, overgrown areas you have. You can't block a cat in like you do for a coyote. A walkthrough set is dynamite for a cat. I put sticks on each side of the trap leading back 2-3 feet to funnel the cat right to the trap. I then put a stick on each side of the trap jaws(Perpendicular to the funnel sticks) where they have to step over onto the pan. Then a duck wing on a string above it 4-5 feet with some lure on the wing and you are ready.
I've had a couple of pictures of bobcats on trail cams so I made cubby set with feathers above, but can't keep the possums out of it. Lots more possums than bobcats. I'll make another set back in a thicket that has a couple of trails through it. Thanks for the info.

JhnDeereMan

2-Step Enabled
I've had a couple of pictures of bobcats on trail cams so I made cubby set with feathers above, but can't keep the possums out of it. Lots more possums than bobcats. I'll make another set back in a thicket that has a couple of trails through it. Thanks for the info.
You are spot on. A big cubby set in this area is a raccoon and possum magnet. Set the trap right on the edge of the thicket where it transitions. You need the wing at a high point( crest of a hill) where it's movement can be seen from a good distance. 90% of the cats hunting is done with its eyes. Let the movement get it to the lure then just funnel it in with stick where the only open place to step is the dirt on top of the pan.

You are spot on. A big cubby set in this area is a raccoon and possum magnet. Set the trap right on the edge of the thicket where it transitions. You need the wing at a high point( crest of a hill) where it's movement can be seen from a good distance. 90% of the cats hunting is done with its eyes. Let the movement get it to the lure then just funnel it in with stick where the only open place to step is the dirt on top of the pan.
Got it! Gonna set one up tomorrow. Thanks

JhnDeereMan

2-Step Enabled
Got it! Gonna set one up tomorrow. Thanks
If you use lure. Put it 18-20" in front of your trap. When a cat comes in it's nose will be sticking out 13-15" in front of its feet. If you set the lure 9-10" from the trap like you do for a coyote you will miss a cat many times.

wildlifefarmer

That is a great week!! As the pics show, the cat does not blow out the trap site but yotes destroys it. Have you ever tried drags to keep the site intact?

JhnDeereMan

2-Step Enabled
That is a great week!! As the pics show, the cat does not blow out the trap site but yotes destroys it. Have you ever tried drags to keep the site intact?
I have never tried drags. Just running super stake anchors. Definite disadvantage to have to move the trap once you make a catch. Question for you. Do you have to treat the drag for scent removal like you do the traps?

JhnDeereMan

2-Step Enabled
Awesome! What traps you running?
Running MB550 4 coil with laminated jaws. I throw them in the creek a week. Then boil in walnut hulls. Let dry 24 hrs and then treat with Full Metal Jacket and dry 24 hrs and then hunt them. Using super stake anchors. MB550 is the only trap I have found that you don't have to adjust much out of the box. Night latch on them is perfect in my opinion.

wildlifefarmer

Amen on the MB550 along with the disposable stakes. If I get the traps new I will wash them to get the factory grease off and set them this season. At end of season they will have rusted a tad then I wash with vinegar and coat with full metal jacket.

I just purchased some drags. I'm going to see how many I loose(ha!)

Latest posts