Catoosa early muzzy hunt

Carlos

Be careful going into the woods while it's still dark. This one took my scrape dripper, and also adjusts the angle on my cameras everytime he comes thru.

Yall check on me occasionally today, if you get the chance.
If I don't post back he may have caught up to me on the way...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211017-143745_COMMAND.jpg
    Screenshot_20211017-143745_COMMAND.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 92
  • Screenshot_20211017-143752_COMMAND.jpg
    Screenshot_20211017-143752_COMMAND.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 94

Madbowh

I was hoping it would lighten up, seems to be getting worse.

I wonder if the deer/hogs will move with 15-20mph gusts?
Had some does cruising yesterday in front of me from 943-1049,wind had then nervous though one walked away then ran back to me started eating again

Attachments

• 20211028_094536.jpg
    20211028_094536.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 130

Carlos

What's everyone seeing this morning?
It's so thick back in here where I'm hunting it's almost dark.
Really hoping the wind and rain move out soon, bec this sucks.
0 shots so far today, What's up with that?

Volbuck777

I've yet to see a deer but when I left last night got out on 101 right past the catfish cabin someone had just hit a 115-120 inch 8. The dang thing was still kicking when I got to it. I turned around and couple people were out of their truck about to load it I guess. I guess that's the trick, hit them at night with a car.

oldmanelrod

2-Step Enabled
Be careful going into the woods while it's still dark. This one took my scrape dripper, and also adjusts the angle on my cameras everytime he comes thru.

Yall check on me occasionally today, if you get the chance.
If I don't post back he may have caught up to me on the way...
That could really put the hurt to you. Are bears seen very often on Catoosa? Hunted it in the early 1989's and never heard of one up there back then. But you have they are there now.

Tanelson43

That could really put the hurt to you. Are bears seen very often on Catoosa? Hunted it in the early 1989's and never heard of one up there back then. But you have they are there now.
Its amazing my family has lived in Catoosa since the 1800s. A bear was never spotted there until 2012. That was the first year I ever saw one on my cameras. Now every camera I have out gets bewr pictures every week. They magically appeared but if you ask TWRA I'm sure they had nothing to do with it. Experiments have ruined deer hunting in this part of the state. Between the hogs and the bears the deer are scarce.

RoyalPrudent

Its amazing my family has lived in Catoosa since the 1800s. A bear was never spotted there until 2012. That was the first year I ever saw one on my cameras. Now every camera I have out gets bewr pictures every week. They magically appeared but if you ask TWRA I'm sure they had nothing to do with it. Experiments have ruined deer hunting in this part of the state. Between the hogs and the bears the deer are scarce.
so you think TWRA moved em to Catoosa?

Carlos

Today's total as of 550pm is up to 5 bucks.

I met the new area manager today. He was checking licenses, and being sure everybody on the area had been drawn for the quota hunt. If you're not drawn, you aren't supposed to be out there. I heard they've written several (over 10) tickets lately for unauthorized presence and being there outside of legal hours.

I hope he's the right guy to figure out what's been holding Catoosa back for all these years.

Last edited:

Ladys man

I think that was the most miserable hunt I've ever experienced. I'd rather have snow than rain all day. Found fresh sign and seen a doe the last hr of light but I'm not staying for another day of that.
Good luck to those going for the finally tomorrow.

Antler Daddy

There is no reason not to allow taking of bears on the WMA during quota hunts. It won't but a dent in the population.

I hunted in the rain this morning and had an entire open gated road to myself. I forget the name of the road. The leaves are about a week behind where they were last year.

I didn't roam a lot, but the buck sign was scarce compared to the sign in Lawrence county I saw while putting out some cameras.

It is a big beautiful place. The weather forecast was not improving so I cruised back home. I need to save my strength for next weekend at LBL.

Attachments

• B124B016-A575-4ECF-BBE8-015A56D497E2.jpeg
    B124B016-A575-4ECF-BBE8-015A56D497E2.jpeg
    689.4 KB · Views: 86

Carlos

There is no reason not to allow taking of bears on the WMA during quota hunts. It won't but a dent in the population.

I hunted in the rain this morning and had an entire open gated road to myself. I forget the name of the road. The leaves are about a week behind where they were last year.

I didn't roam a lot, but the buck sign was scarce compared to the sign in Lawrence county I saw while putting out some cameras.

It is a big beautiful place. The weather forecast was not improving so I cruised back home. I need to save my strength for next weekend at LBL.
That's awesome, glad you enjoyed it. I feel like there's something missing, or, um... there's something holding this area back, it really should be a lot more productive, wouldn't you think?

Carlos

I think that was the most miserable hunt I've ever experienced. I'd rather have snow than rain all day. Found fresh sign and seen a doe the last hr of light but I'm not staying for another day of that.
Good luck to those going for the finally tomorrow.
I know the feeling. After awhile it wears on ya, and when it's not fun anymore, I hang it up as well.
Have you got any other quota hunts this year?

morgancountry

I think I know why I've not seen any deer!
In years past it's been the astronomical number of hogs. They did a number on the hogs a few years ago with trapping. I know it was controversial to some on here that I remember. But it needed to happen. Bear season with a muzzleloader and gun needs to happen on the plateau. It's getting ridiculous. I think they need to include bears on the late season dog hunts on catoosa that they have now for hogs. But hey, what do I know. I've only lived and hunted the the area for 30 years…

morgancountry

That's awesome, glad you enjoyed it. I feel like there's something missing, or, um... there's something holding this area back, it really should be a lot more productive, wouldn't you think?
I remember when I was a kid (90s) we would ride around the area and see so many deer in the fields during the summer. It's nowhere ne'er what it was. But also back then they actually planted the fields with corn and beans. But I do know the area was hit hard in '07 and devastated in '17 with EHD. I just don't think the numbers have ever recovered in combination with the hogs and bear now, it's an uphill battle for sure.

Latest posts