CATOOSA ANYONE?

DKO77

Went today looking around a bit , nothing, never saw a turkey, no surprise really. But worse than that they ain't hardly no trees left on the mountain. Everywhere you go is clearcut after clearcut. Yes I've got on birds in clearcuts and thickets but its kind of sickening when you go up for the first time year after year and another spot you hunt ain't got a tree left standing. One spot I love to hunt is painted up and ready for cutting right now. O well I guess , O and good luck finding a green field to hunt. If you do you'll probaly have to take a number. Just thought I'd rant a little bit, I feel better now . I'll be there tomorrow rain or shine - good luck to any who dare - lol

Trevor2

timberjack86 said:
spitndrum said:
Trevor2 said:
Hunting silent birds just ain't for me. I wish y'all luck though.

BOY THE TRUTH IN THIS MANS STATMENT ;)
I don't have any problem shooting a bird that wont talk :D
O I have and will again but its nowhere bear as fun. I'm just not intentionally gonna hunt somewhere that the birds rarely ever talk. This info being from my own experience among others I know that live just as close as I do to this wma .

fredfred

I don't know what you guys are talking about. Those turkeys out there gobble their heads off. Well they do until you call to em :D

DKO77

went up this past Friday and heard 4 different birds gobbling - got setup on the closest one but he decided to pitch off the hill and go the other way

PalsPal

Heard two Wednesday. They didn't want to play.

The birds are about two weeks away from being ready. But that does us no good since season is closed now.

TheLBLman

DKO77 said:
Everywhere you go is clearcut after clearcut.
It may not "look" as we've grown accustomed to seeing it, cannot be hunted as we've done in the past, but I'll bet you a dollar against a donut, both the deer & the turkey populations dramatically increase because of it.

Anytime the habitat improves faster than the game population grows (which is exactly what's been happening at Catoosa), it can be much tougher hunting for a while, but not because there's less game. It's more because the critters have more to eat, and less need to more around, coupled with their travel patterns being altered as well. Then suddenly, our proven methods for hunting them in hardwoods no longer work. Bottom line, the critters usually adapt much quicker than us hunters, their populations will increase, and we'll have better hunting sooner or later.

Some of the areas cut a few years ago at Catoosa are now just absolutely beautiful oak savannas. These areas can now healthily support a lot more deer and turkey than the mature forests that preceded the savannas.

My problem with Catoosa is too many people and too many people riding ATV's all over the place. It has become more of an off-road ATV playground than a place to enjoy hunting.

PalsPal

wompuscat said:
Way too many people running around not hunters, PEOPLE. It would make for a more desirable hunt.

Anyone caught on the area during a hunt who isn't hunting gets ticketed.

I have never seen anyone on an ATV during turkey season.

Latest posts