Cat and Mouse Game Final Chapter

Gobble4me757

I originally got permission on this place to turkey hunt where I killed a turkey. Fast forward to summer where I called the land owner and was granted permission to deer hunt as the property hadn't been legally hunted in years. Upon scouting, the land north of the blacktop road and field was super thick and hilly. I found a spot on a bench between the hill to the north and beans to the south where I placed a camera on an old logging road with a few oaks. I began getting pictures of this deer immediately as I was catching him in the ams and pms going between bedding to eating. I targeted him and hunted him hard. I originally had a lockon too close to the trail where I had to slip in and move it back only to no avail. Every time I was there, he wasn't. Also, I was 75 yards from the neighbors field which I later found out hurt me. This set the stage for the final story where i had hunted him multiple times since opener.

This beautiful 8 pointer…No, he's not a giant, but a good Deer especially to me with my new to me Matthew's Vertix. I had moved my lockon set up back 10 yards from the draw/oak flat only to start having run ins with the neighbors. I was about 75 yards off the line from their field, but every-time I hunted the new set up, they would be out there working in the field while parking right along the the trial the buck seemed to take. No, I'm not like Seek1 and these country deer weren't used to people near their bedding so would delay coming the path until after dark usually as the camera indicated. This happened Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday afternoons of this past week….yes I work as I was post call and got done early in clinic on those days 😂. I noticed in the pictures I got of him, he would be looking towards the lockon or the camera as well. I actually left the stand early Friday afternoon as I was so fed up with the neighbors messing it all up that I would hunt this afternoon only before saying screw it.

Saturday's hunt was supposed to be an am and pm hunt but my wife's screaming nephew at 12:30 Friday night made me make a business decision as I also didn't want to spook him. I decided to sit out this an and go that afternoon. I had done the alternative approach to the lockon to no avail, so I decided to take some aldeer advice and bring a climber in there. High risk/high reward option as the only trees to climb were right where he comes giving me a 20 yard shot max. I even had to detach the climber on the only available tree to get over a knob and place it over it mid climb (yes I need a saddle lol). I'm facing the east as his usual paths through the bench are to the north or my left at my 8 o'clock and 10 o'clock. I was brushed in to perfection 20 ft up.
At 6:06, I put my phone away and stood up in the case he came out from those trails being max shot was 20 yards. I stood there for 10 min where I then heard what sounded different than the birds and the squirrels. I looked and there was his left tine behind a tree coming my way! This was the first time I have really layed eyes up close on him! He stepped out quartering to me where I saw him looking right at my lockon. I then drew back where he had no idea I was there and rushed putting the pin on him before he stepped out of my lane. He was slightly quartering to me where I put it on the crease of his neck to angle between the shoulder blades and let it fly. The arrow hit true and smacked him where he crashed through the woods! I was afraid I had hit the shoulder so no time for celebration at this time. I thanked the good Lord, called my momma as I've done since I was a kid, and then called the wife while still in the tree. A buddy then came and helped me track him where he had gone probably 100 yards or less! I cannot take credit as the good Lord has blessed me tremendously! He's one off the biggest I've shot with a bow, and I'm super proud of him especially given the history with him!
0F4E9CBE-4769-492C-A030-5332AA8345C1.jpeg
42403BA2-E639-45F5-AAAB-F332BFD67B7A.jpeg
30E7271E-97D8-46AF-B3F7-A53585974C7A.jpeg

WilcoKen

Beautiful buck and awesome bow kill. Great story too. I know what you mean about neighbors. Ive had a nice 10 point on camera since opener and last Tuesday they decided to mow a strip right on the fence line of the thicket he's been living in. Not seen him since that day.

Gobble4me757

Beautiful buck and awesome bow kill. Great story too. I know what you mean about neighbors. Ive had a nice 10 point on camera since opener and last Tuesday they decided to mow a strip right on the fence line of the thicket he's been living in. Not seen him since that day.
Understand the frustration brotha…and it's not that they are doing it intentionally, just is what it is…

Latest posts