Casting rod for cranks/spinners/buzz baits?

TNReb

Last year I started fishing a lot more than usual. In the past, all of my fishing has been farm ponds and watersheds... with the occasional trip to the lake. Last year I started fishing lakes a lot more.

I have two rods that I use 99% of the time. Both are Medium Heavy, X-Fast. The majority of my fishing is jig and worm of some sort. That remaining 1% I might use one of my slower spinning rods, but I just don't care for spinning rods much.

I want to grab another casting rod... something with a little slower tip.

I will primarily use it for shallow crank baits and spinner baits.. and the occasional buzz bait. Basically, I'm looking for a sort of all around rod that I can quickly pick up and try a different type of lure when plastics and jigs aren't working without retying.

I know one rod isn't going to be great at everything, so I'm looking for the best compromise.

I don't need a real heavy rod since I rarely am around real thick cover. Hoisting a fish out with a MH has never been an issue.

Any thoughts?

Moderate or Fast (not X-Fast)?

TN Larry

I would rather have a medium action rod for a crankbait and medium heavy for a spinnerbait or buzzbait. That is generally speaking though. You might be able to get a MH Bass Pro cranking rod for all three applications. The rods needs to be a little limber for a crankbait but enough backbone for a spinnerbait. If not, I would get a 7' MH rod that is light weight with a slightly limber tip. I am not sure whether that is fast, x-fast, etc. as that really depends on the manufacturer. So far, I am really liking Lew's rods. I have two so far and really like them.

TNReb

Thanks for the input. The problem is that I fish with my neighbor on his boat. He already keeps several rods out and ready. I can't really bring 4 or 5 rods of my own. I try to limit it two, otherwise we just have too much stuff. When I go on my own (10ft pond type boat), I don't mind bringing several rods.

I will probably go for a slower crankbait rod. I can easily keep a spinnerbait tied on, and if they appear to like it, I can switch my MH XF to a spinnerbait.

Bad habit

Dobyns makes some really good rods as do most manufacturers. I co wider a few things when choosing a rod. If is going to be usedfishing in an aluminum boat or someone else's boat I tend to use my cheaper rods. If it is something that will be used in my own boat or for long periods of time I will take a lighter or more rape side rod every time. I haven't shopped for new rods in several years but I have held several Dobyns rods that are super light. It makes for a better day fishing with a lighter rod.

TNReb

I wound up finding a guy with a St Croix Premier Medium/Moderate crankbait rod for sale and bought that. That model sells for $140 new and I got it for $65. For that price, I couldn't pass it up. It also has the full cork handle that I prefer. I already have a Premier spinning rod, so Im sure I'll like it well enough for my light cranks. I doubt I could do any better for $65.

Latest posts