Carrying 2 rifles hunting?

Rackseeker

I was wondering if anyone has ever carried two rifles while hunting? The reason I ask this question is, I have an old Winchester lever action 38-40 rifle that my grand father passed down to me. I haven't shot this rifle in 30 years. I want to kill a deer with it this year for some reason. But my max range is about 60 yards with this rifle. But I also don't want to be caught without a scoped rifle just in case a big boy shows up out of this rifles range. I have a couple ground blinds just waiting for when I carry this rifle to the woods.

kholmes

I would just carry the old gun. You will be guaranteed to see a big boy at 70 yards.... err.... Or at least I would. In all seriousness carrying 2 guns is not that odd to me.

southernhunter

Yes do it all the time , I carry my t/c Hawkins along with my rifle , killing a doe at 30 yards with a 6mm rifle shooting 3200 fps , just don't excite me , on the other hand a doe at 30 yards with a patched round ball over 70 grains of 3f and not being able to see through the cloud of smoke for 30 mins does excite me . LoL

JoshDosMil

I do sometimes, when I'm hitting several spots or traveling for a weekend hunt, I carry a lighter .243 for long hikes where I don't want to carry an 11 pound weight through the woods but if i'm sitting in a stand or stationary I'll have the larger 30.06 or 300

yamaha200

Swamphunter said:
Heck, I'm almost too lazy to carry two rifles when I hunt with my 13 year old son. He wants to take his gun and I trust mine more for long range shots so we take them both but it's kind of senseless.

I would definitely do it in your shoes though. You need to kill one with that old gun!
What kind of gun is your son shooting ?

Latest posts