• Help Support TNDeer:

Carry permit

Jcalder

Supporter
I know, I know, constitutional carry is coming, sort of. I applied last month to renew my license. It was approved last week but my current license has expired. Can I still carry, knowing it’s been approved, but my current card has expired.

Omega

I know, I know, constitutional carry is coming, sort of. I applied last month to renew my license. It was approved last week but my current license has expired. Can I still carry, knowing it’s been approved, but my current card has expired.
Play it safe, wait on the permit. I think that you have to show the permit to LEO upon request, until the new law takes affect anyway.

brassmagnet

Your vehicle is an extension of your house, as far as carrying in public, your shat out of luck. At least that's how I understand it. But I've not let mine expire, so there you go.

Weegee

Your vehicle is an extension of your house, as far as carrying in public, your shat out of luck. At least that's how I understand it. But I've not let mine expire, so there you go.
Yep. The new carry law takes effect July 1. Until then you can have a gun on you in your car though…

medwc

Supporter
Play it safe
Yup, but that would mean I am carrying. JMO... I mean... you are telling a guy that has an newlyexpired permit that has been reinstated that he should go out with out his gun. Sorry, I would NOT go uncarried and would NOT tell someone in the same situation to go uncarried!!! That would be the one time you need to be carrying a %*&^ing weapon!!! real world stuff!!! Just saying. :)

Last edited:

Jcalder

Supporter
I can pull the email up that shows approval, I just didn’t realize it could take 45 days to get approval on renewal. I applied 2 weeks before it expired.

TheAirMan

When I’ve cut it close, I was told that I was covered as long as I had the receipt/paperwork with me.
Thats how it worked when I let my drivers license expire and I renewed online. It said print it out and it would work until my new license came. They way its getting though I would probably try to call someone or verify thats how it is with a carry permit.

DaveTN

Supporter
From the TN.gov website:
You can renew your handgun carry permit up to one renewal cycle past the expiration date by completing an application and paying the renewal fee. You may not legally carry a weapon on your person while your permit has expired until you receive your new permit.

TAFKAP

If your license was expired, then you applied to renew, then the answer is "NO". However, the last time it mattered for me, there was a 6month overlap period where a start-from-new application isn't required.

However, if you filed for a renewal even one day prior to its expiration, you are valid to carry with proof of application until the new card arrives in the mail.

WTM

Permit Holders whose permit have not expired and are renewing their permit, may legally carry their handgun with the receipt provided from their application. Permit Holders whose permit has expired and are renewing their permit, cannot lawfully carry a handgun until they receive their new permit.

Jcalder

Supporter
I Hope you don’t get pulled over
Since the castle doctrine carries over from house to vehicle that’s one aspect that I’m not concerned with. No permit necessary for that. What I’m more concerned with is a Karen causing a scene at the grocery store. Anywhere else and it’s not that big of a concern.

Latest posts