• Help Support TNDeer:

Carring a pistol in cold weather hunting

Ladys man

I’ve been looking at trying to modify a belt style leather holster to fit on my thigh. I wear bibs and layer upper body just depends on temperature but how does everyone carry in the colder weather.

how are they while sitting in the stand and climbing. Walks in hill country?

im thinking about carrying a single shot rifle this year and is the main reason I’m considering this, normally feel pretty good with just the rifle.

Omega

My regular EDC is in my IWB holster most times. But I have a leg rig which has different shells for a couple I've carried out in the woods, and a chest rig for my 44 mag hunting pistol.

jlanecr500

Supporter
I carry my 44 mag Super Redhawk across my chest. Every pistol I've tried to carry on my hip has interfered with my climber.

Crappieaddict

I bought this for fishing and hiking in Wyoming. It worked well for me.

Attachments

• 13620763-A2FE-44CD-AB00-13CFE5F92F27.jpeg
    13620763-A2FE-44CD-AB00-13CFE5F92F27.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 29

Hunter 257W

This is something that has always frustrated me too when it gets cold enough to have to wear bibs and I don't have a belt. I like to have my single action 45 Colt on my hip but so far have just gone without a sidearm when it's that cold.

BlackBelt

I use a regular strong side belt holster. I bought my bibs way oversized and tailored them down so there is room for my belt holster and plenty of quick access.
Last year I took a guy hunting for his first time. He is a member of our local TACT unit (aka-SWAT). He showed up with his duty thigh rig carrying some huge HK handgun. I casually said that thigh holster might not travel well through the woods and thickets. Sure enough, we didnt get far before we had to stop and he took it off.
If you are not walking through tough environments maybe a thigh rig would work. But any type of foliage thats about waist high or slightly less will find its way into and around that holster.

Labboy

I carry a badlands backpack that has a holster for a pistol built in it. Any one of my pistols strap in the spot nicely without a problem.

Chief44

I carry in a hill people gear kit bag. There are several models with different sizes and features but I chose the original version and love it. Has compartment for handgun. As well as other compartments for Other gear, spare mags, calls etc. mine will fit a number of different pistols and revolvers including my Glock 40 mos long slide. A little pricy but it’s definitely been worth the money for me.

JeepKuntry

I carry my Springfield mod2 during archery season. Once rifle comes in, I go to my EDC pocket pistol, a Ruger LCP 380. I figure if I do see a hog or bear and they are aggressive the rifle should take care of things.

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

Latest posts