Carpet or no carpet

catman529

I would love to put carpet in my boat, but something tells me it won't go well with catfish slime. Anyone fish for cats a lot with a carpeted boat? I think I'll just go with a few solid coats of good paint when I build new deck and bench seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

catman529

RobbyW":1clxwkev said:
What about rhino liner instead of paint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe... does that stuff go well on plywood? I won't paint the interior of the hull, just the plywood. I was thinking something like 3 coats of a good oil paint

Planking

I like outdoor carpet in my jon boat. Yeah its got a few minor stains but its seen it all and its a do it all boat. When it wears out i will put it back in. Its very comfortable and has lasted longer than the paint did on plywood. I used the rubber backed brown multicolor from one of the major hardware stores. They sell the glue also.

SilverFox

I prefer carpet. It's a lot easier on the body if you're moving around on your knees and gives a little padding for standing. It also makes the boat a lot quieter. Downside is it weighs a lot when wet and stains... but the downside isn't enough for me to not use it.

Smo

I've fished out of carpeted boats and un carpeted boats.

Catfish slime on carpet not that much of an issue.

Shad guts, scales and such might need a little scrubbing with a stiff bristle brush .

I keep a cutting board (12 x 12" plywood)to cut bait on in the boat, when through cutting wash off the board and wet and wipe any areas that you mistakenly got on blood on .

Most things will spray out if you don't wait a day or two to do it.

Paint on plywood won't last that long , a solid base stain that penetrate the wood would be better.

The truck bed coatings would most likely be slick when wet or slimey. I'm not sure how they adhere to wood.

Rubber mats are good but added weight.

For the money and time spent I'd go with the Astro turf type rubber backed carpet.

I use the spray glue in the Can, cut the carpet and make sure it fits.

Then roll it back and spray the glue on the plywood and the back of the carpet.

Let it set as required per the instructions (a couple of minutes ), then roll the carpet back in place.

I always allow enough hang over along the edges to wrap the carpet around to the back side of the plywood helping hold it in place. When dry , run a few screws through the plywood into the boats ribs.

Or it can be left in screwed to allow washing out the bottom of the boat.

I always screw mine down.

Simple job, just takes a couple of afternoons to complete.

Carpet is a lot cooler during those hot Summer days than the metal or the wood.

Plus it provides traction.... but being a Cat , that shouldn't be an issue for you . LOL

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I like carpet because 99% of the time when I am fishing I am barefooted.
It comes off but I hate when I get catfish slime on my carpet.

If you don't mind spending the time to clean it afterwards it wouldn't be that big a deal.

The only thing I would worry about with the rhino line stuff is the heat it would capture.

Smo

I think they make rhino liner in white , but then you would be snow blind while fishing. LOL

I still think it would be slick when wet ,especially if it's stored out in the weather.

catman529

Smo":mo0ckyyh said:
I think they make rhino liner in white , but then you would be snow blind while fishing. LOL

I still think it would be slick when wet ,especially if it's stored out in the weather.
I've got white paint on my current setup, it definitely keeps the heat off. Was gonna go with a better paint and a couple extra coats on the new plywood.

Smo

catman529":108nn1b6 said:
Smo":108nn1b6 said:

I've got white paint on my current setup, it definitely keeps the heat off. Was gonna go with a better paint and a couple extra coats on the new plywood.

Cat, I tried White in my boat and it didn't last long.

I was hoping it would hold up thru the Summer anyway....

IMG_0333.jpg

:super: :party: :cool:

catman529

Smo":3vv913mv said:
catman529":3vv913mv said:
Smo":3vv913mv said:

Cat, I tried White in my boat and it didn't last long.

I was hoping it would hold up thru the Summer anyway....

IMG_0333.jpg

:super: :party: :cool:
That's a good thick coat but not the kind of white paint I had in mind :lol: :lol:

brass magnet

Yeah, I went with a light brown boat carpet from Lowes, keep it covered, and spray it down after trot lining, still looks new, it's been over a decade, either I lucked in on some quality carpet, or I don't fish enough, pretty sure it's the latter. :tu:

Smo

brass magnet":12vxgs16 said:
Yeah, I went with a light brown boat carpet from Lowes, keep it covered, and spray it down after trot lining, still looks new, it's been over a decade, either I lucked in on some quality carpet, or I don't fish enough, pretty sure it's the latter. :tu:

I used the same stuff from Lowe's in my 14' flat bottom.

If I remember correctly there were 2 types, one had a thinner rubber backing than the other.

I used the heavier one and its held up well.

jhardy

There is a product out the called durbak. Comes in many different colors, also comes in a marine grade. It is like rhino liner, it can be sprayed on or rolled on. I've used it on several different projects. Inside of jeeps and a small flatbed. Also on a jonboat. Might give it a look. Being a textured finish would be a great product for a boat.

Big John in TN

Used Krylon enamel mixed with sand texture paint additive on the old boat and it worked really well. made a nice non-slip surface. Kind of hard on the knees though. Just use a small roller and stir the paint/sand before you dip the roller to keep the sand applied evenly.

You would want a couple coats of good oil based primer on wood first.

Attachments

• 20160323_072815.jpeg
    20160323_072815.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 2,812