• Help Support TNDeer:

Carnivore Diet

TNRifleman

Has anyone tried it? Pros/cons etc.......

Dr. Saladino was on the Meateater Podcast this week and a lot of what he said makes sense to me but am trying to understand how to make it work in the real world.

Any input, positive or negative, is appreciated.

Rakkin6

Never tried the carnivore diet, but I do try to eat only lean meats I.E. venison, turkey, chicken breasts, fish, ( I do eat red beef occasionally also). I do try to eat all these foods grilled or baked. Drastically reduced my carb intake, sometimes going days or a week without carbs (If I am doing a long bike ride 35-50 miles, swim 4000-5000 meters or a long run 10 miles or so I will eat carbs the night before usually a sweet or baked potatoes. But I do eat as lot of fruit and veggies everyday which is not allowed on the carnivore diet. I will say that cutting the carbs makes you grumpy for about a week until your blood sugar gets right and your body adapts but once it does you feel so much better.

Sorry this is all the information I can help you with. Wish you the best.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

Dodge Man

Supporter
I tried it for a few weeks, after the first week I felt great. I was loosing body fat and could tell I was adding muscle and felt stronger. But you really need to eat real meat mostly red meats and quality fish because of the vitamins and minerals they contain. It is not really something I could afford long term. It was costing me roughly $10-$15+ a day.

Dr Shawn Baker is one of the top people in the Carnivore diet. You will find lots of podcasts, videos, websites sites on it. I think it has definite benefits but I don’t know how sustainable it is unless it was for health reasons. I think the benefits are similar to keto but maybe easier to stay on.

swd

My understanding is that you need to eat a lot of fatty meats, like ribeyes. Other than salmon, I strongly prefer lean meat, so that rules me out.

Good luck if you decide to pursue it.

Stykbow

Rakkin6":3oobpmki said:
Reminds me of the Atkins diet craze

Yep, pretty much just a rebranded Atkins diet. Personally I don’t subscribe to the all meat diets. I figure if I wasn’t supposed to eat fruit, veggies, nuts, etc. then I wouldn’t have the kind of teeth that I have.

If you’re going to be stupid, you’d better be tough!

Rakkin6

Stykbow":3rxcy8mr said:
Rakkin6":3rxcy8mr said:
Reminds me of the Atkins diet craze

Yep, pretty much just a rebranded Atkins diet. Personally I don’t subscribe to the all meat diets. I figure if I wasn’t supposed to eat fruit, veggies, nuts, etc. then I wouldn’t have the kind of teeth that I have.

If you’re going to be stupid, you’d better be tough!
I love meat but I also love fresh fruit and veggies.

TAFKAP

bobbuck":2qaxhc37 said:
Sounds like a good diet to give yourself a blockage to me. Surprised TAFKAP has not chimed in on this one.

I've not been active on here in a while. Personally, I'm not a fan of any extreme diets, and this is no exception. I'm firmly an omnivore, as I love meats and veggies of all types. TO me, I think it's nutritionally narrow minded to completely eliminate nearly an entire food group. Watching and listening along with Mrs. TAFKAP's dietetics studies, I'm getting a broader view of how nutrients in foods work together to contribute to a whole body health. Interactions between vitamins, micro & macro nutrients, hormones, and enzymes are critical. Fad diets introduce short term gains, but are generally unsustainable in the long term as the body starts to lose out on the key nutrients that may only be available in veggies (or meats, for that matter).

Latest posts