Cardiac Stent?

dr

dr

I recently had a stress test which showed I had a mild blockage, though I wasn't having any symptoms. I have always exercised, and been active, but the Dr. thought I should get a heart cath. Last week I had a different Dr. perform the procedure, and they found 90% blockage in one artery, and 75% in several more. I got a stent for the 90% blockage, but have to go back in several weeks to get the others fixed.

Anyone have stents, and how have they affected your life, and activity? I have been having an occasional, mild chest pain or pinching sensation since the procedure near where the stent was installed that I didn't have before. I'm not sure if this is the norm, temporary, or something I will have to live with. I've learned that just because you feel good, and may be in excellent physical condition, it's a good idea to get a checkup. My cardiologist said he would not have done the stress test, and mine turned out to be not very accurate. I am also grateful to a TN. Deer member who helped me find the best Dr. possible. Thanks friend!

M

Mike Belt

I virtually missed out on this past deer season because of this. I was having a major pain in the calf of one leg and went to a cardiologist. No blood flow so I had a scheduled surgery for a stint in the leg vein. Same scheduled for my other leg. Before that they did a stress test and discovered 2 90% blockages in the heart. Prior to the leg surgery I got 2 stints there. I never experienced any pain other than the calf of one leg and I still haven't. I can't really tell any difference. Now I'm having prostrate problems and made a trip to the emergency room a couple of days ago. While there they were checking my blood pressure and said I had atrial fibrillation so now I'm scheduling another cardiac checkup. I still feel no different and experience no pain. Getting older is Hell.

JeepKuntry

JeepKuntry

My Dad had 6 bypass surgery. 7 years later a couple stents as the bypasses were blocked. All his numbers were are continue to be good. Doctors are baffled at him. And it's genetic. So I really should take better care of myself. Need to get my fat butt on the treadmill.

Big Ben

Big Ben

I had two put in about a year ago, have not noticed any pain of any kind or know they are even there. Just a couple more months on Plavix, they wanted me to stay on it one year. The A-Fib deal you can live with, I have had it bad about 18 years and take med's to help control it and to thin blood to prevent a stroke that's the main danger. A-Fib can come and go depending on stress level so try and stay clam. They have killed me 7 times (stopped my heart with electric shock) with one treatment for A-Fib ,called cardio version to try and get it back right but none have taken, Within a day or even a hour I am back to square one.

M

Mike Belt

I haven't had this problem in the past and I was in extreme pain in the emergency room. I'm sure that had something to do with it.

dr

dr

I don't think I'm having A- fib, just mild angina. I agree about it being mostly hereditary. I know guys that smoke and drink to excess that have passed a heart cath with no problems. And, Guys younger than I, in excellent condition with major problems. Thanks

Jmed

Jmed

3 years ago, at 36 years old, I had a heart attack while guiding on a wounded warriors hunt near my home. I thought it was just bad heart burn that day and didn't even go to the ER until the following day because my wife made me. I spent a week in the hospital and had 2 stents put in. The weekend following my release, I was hiking the mountains, and took 2 deer. I have had some mild angina, but over all the stent hasn't changed my life. My Doctors told me to go back to normal life and just always take my medicine. I have done that and my biggest battle has been with my high BP. My Dr. has played around with several meds and just in the past 8 months we found one that has seemed to work(clonidine). I was even able to stop the blood thinner and one other BP med (Chlorathaldyne SP?). Long story short, I feel good and live a normal life, although I am hypersensitive to any little change in my health.

L

leader

dr":cjo971jy said:
I recently had a stress test which showed I had a mild blockage, though I wasn't having any symptoms. I have always exercised, and been active, but the Dr. thought I should get a heart cath. Last week I had a different Dr. perform the procedure, and they found 90% blockage in one artery, and 75% in several more. I got a stent for the 90% blockage, but have to go back in several weeks to get the others fixed.

Anyone have stents, and how have they affected your life, and activity? I have been having an occasional, mild chest pain or pinching sensation since the procedure near where the stent was installed that I didn't have before. I'm not sure if this is the norm, temporary, or something I will have to live with. I've learned that just because you feel good, and may be in excellent physical condition, it's a good idea to get a checkup. My cardiologist said he would not have done the stress test, and mine turned out to be not very accurate. I am also grateful to a TN. Deer member who helped me find the best Dr. possible. Thanks friend!

Why did you have the stress test?
Were you having pain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

280longshot

280longshot

I cant say I wont ever be put back on atenolol ( beta blocker ) for BP but I went through he_ _ trying to get off.

My cardio doctor said I didnt need it after my PCP prescribed it so I slowly tapered off for 6 months.
My heart would race while on taper causing anxiety that sent me to the ER.

I am also trying to taper off a benzo that a gastro doctor put me on for two years for stomach issues. Its worse than HEROIN to get off.

Be extremely careful, ask questions, read, ask the pharmacists about side effects or addiction of any meds your PCP prescribes you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

DaveB

DaveB

April 23, 2014 I had a weird pain in my chest-down below belly button-and went immediately to ER, tested, had NSTEMI heart attack.
Had two stainless steel stents inserted one in LAD 68% blocked and one in RCA 99% blocked (two places). I did not want the DES stents because my right eye was sewn shut and I wanted the surgery to open it done before my Daughter's wedding in June. I was awake watching and listening to the procedure. Kinda entertaining if you have a well developed sense of humor.

First monday in October 2014 I had a 3rd stent DES this time inserted into the LAD stent because of restenosis. Pain inside my right shoulder that crested and waned based on my walking speed had me take a nuclear stress test and the problem was so clear I could see it myself. I was in Buffalo. Home to Memphis and surgery. This one was very much touch and go, I have decided restenosis sucks. Advice from a Member saved my life.

Yes, your life may or may not change. I take the usual 5 pills every day. When i cut myself I bleed pretty bad. I get tired a lot easier. Your diet begins to focus on stuff like lettuce and chicken/turkey no skin. No chocolate. PayDay is only candy bar with zero cholesterol. You cannot get cold. I have my own Blood pressure thing. My BP remains below 120 over 70 and BPM is >60. My Cardiologist wants me to lose a coupla pounds and pick up my exercise. I get twitches stings and similar events all the time. Anything around any of the skin cancer surgeries I kiss off, totally ignore. Ones in my chest cause me a few seconds of concern.

Time for huge diet change and exercise. My God continue to bless you with his grace.

dr

dr

Jmed":lryg7srn said:
3 years ago, at 36 years old, I had a heart attack while guiding on a wounded warriors hunt near my home. I thought it was just bad heart burn that day and didn't even go to the ER until the following day because my wife made me. I spent a week in the hospital and had 2 stents put in. The weekend following my release, I was hiking the mountains, and took 2 deer. I have had some mild angina, but over all the stent hasn't changed my life. My Doctors told me to go back to normal life and just always take my medicine. I have done that and my biggest battle has been with my high BP. My Dr. has played around with several meds and just in the past 8 months we found one that has seemed to work(clonidine). I was even able to stop the blood thinner and one other BP med (Chlorathaldyne SP?). Long story short, I feel good and live a normal life, although I am hypersensitive to any little change in my health.
Thanks for replying, glad you're doing well!

dr

dr

DaveB":1svanarn said:
April 23, 2014 I had a weird pain in my chest-down below belly button-and went immediately to ER, tested, had NSTEMI heart attack.
Had two stainless steel stents inserted one in LAD 68% blocked and one in RCA 99% blocked (two places). I did not want the DES stents because my right eye was sewn shut and I wanted the surgery to open it done before my Daughter's wedding in June. I was awake watching and listening to the procedure. Kinda entertaining if you have a well developed sense of humor.

First monday in October 2014 I had a 3rd stent DES this time inserted into the LAD stent because of restenosis. Pain inside my right shoulder that crested and waned based on my walking speed had me take a nuclear stress test and the problem was so clear I could see it myself. I was in Buffalo. Home to Memphis and surgery. This one was very much touch and go, I have decided restenosis sucks. Advice from a Member saved my life.

Yes, your life may or may not change. I take the usual 5 pills every day. When i cut myself I bleed pretty bad. I get tired a lot easier. Your diet begins to focus on stuff like lettuce and chicken/turkey no skin. No chocolate. PayDay is only candy bar with zero cholesterol. You cannot get cold. I have my own Blood pressure thing. My BP remains below 120 over 70 and BPM is >60. My Cardiologist wants me to lose a coupla pounds and pick up my exercise. I get twitches stings and similar events all the time. Anything around any of the skin cancer surgeries I kiss off, totally ignore. Ones in my chest cause me a few seconds of concern.

Time for huge diet change and exercise. My God continue to bless you with his grace.
Thanks, and God Bless you!

dr

dr

leader":2tz0qqn3 said:
dr":2tz0qqn3 said:

Why did you have the stress test?
Were you having pain?

Started out several months ago , I injured my heel and could barely walk. I went to a podiatrist, and found I had a chipped bone fragment. He put me on steroids for 14 days, and said the fragment would likely scar over, but might need surgery. I felt well enough to return to work, and told our Dr. that I had pretty bad heartburn several times, and thought it was probably from the Prednisone steroid. He didn't want me to return to work until I had a stress test. I was confident they weren't going to find anything, because I wasn't having any chest pain..and I considered myself to be in pretty good condition. I would occasionally get a bit out of breath if I climbed stairs too fast. That Dr. did me a big favor, and I learned that stress tests may not be all that accurate, but is a good starting point. I've heard of people having heart attacks with no symptoms, that ran 5 miles a day. Regardless of age, if you feel something is not quite right, please get checked out.

D

Dale3

Live in Mt.Juliet ,Hunt Jackson county(Gainsboro)
I have had two mild heart attacks. I had 3 stents the first time, 3 stents the second time, followed by open heart(4 by-passes) a few weeks later for blockages that could not be fix with stents.
Never really had a problem with the stents.
The open heart now that a different story, it sucks, it sucks it sucks first off and I have never felt as good as I did before I had it. I have slowed down and tired a lot more. I'm 58 years old, it run in the family.
Some of it i'm sure has to do with meds also, plus now 1 year later, I been dealing with prostate cancer and the radiation treatments and meds for that are also effecting how I feel. Hopefully the effects from that will be gone in a few more weeks

woodyard

woodyard

Had a stent after a heart attack in2007. No problems . You may tire faster after working, I guess depends on your age. I do as my docs suggest and they are usually surprised that I have. Most people resort back to bad habits.

dr

dr

Dale3":1wzb1ldo said:
I have had two mild heart attacks. I had 3 stents the first time, 3 stents the second time, followed by open heart(4 by-passes) a few weeks later for blockages that could not be fix with stents.
Never really had a problem with the stents.
The open heart now that a different story, it sucks, it sucks it sucks first off and I have never felt as good as I did before I had it. I have slowed down and tired a lot more. I'm 58 years old, it run in the family.
Some of it i'm sure has to do with meds also, plus now 1 year later, I been dealing with prostate cancer and the radiation treatments and meds for that are also effecting how I feel. Hopefully the effects from that will be gone in a few more weeks

Dale, I had no idea you had health problems. I will pray for you friend.

FLTENNHUNTER1

FLTENNHUNTER1

None of us are getting younger. Pay attention to what you body is telling you!

dr

dr

FLTENNHUNTER1":1u8a79h6 said:
None of us are getting younger. Pay attention to what you body is telling you!

Absolutely, But in my case there weren't any real warning signs, and being in good shape doesn't always protect you.
I have a friend in his early 60's that is a fifth degree blackbelt ,and trains almost every day... He can do more pushups, and sit ups than any teenager in the dojo. He also takes yoga, runs in 5K races, and bikes about 20 miles per day weather permitting. Several years ago he had to get a stent because of recurring tightness in his chest.