Car Purchase - Sales Tax Question

farmin68

I'm shopping for a car and have found a couple of used ones I'm interested in on a new car dealer's pre-owned lot.

Last time I bought from a dealer was a new van from a dealer in KY. Being that it was out of state, I had the option of paying the sales tax in my home county in the county clerk's office.

My question is this; If I buy from a dealer and just opt for the temporary paper license plate, can I pay the sales tax in the clerk's office when I go in for my permanent tags? Or do I have to pay the sales tax at the time of purchase? I hope I can wait as by the time the temp tags expire I will have the funds to pay the sales tax, which means less $$ to finance.

Tony USMC

Gravey said:
I bought a used truck a couple of years ago in Alabama and paid the sales tax at the county clerk's office when I got my tags. Had to show them the paperwork so they know the amount of tax you owe.

What I did.

farmin68

The sales rep I asked couldn't give me an answer. I will not be using him. I would guess that is something they should learn in the first hour of the first day of training.

pass-thru

Based on my past experience, it's a matter of not using the dealers titling/licensing service, and it's a great way to save several hundred dollars in dealer fees.

Camp David

In state, you pay the sales tax. Out of state purchase, you pay the tax when you get the license to make it legal.

Another state can't/won't collect the sales tax for another state to license the vehicle.

People used to buy 4-wheelers out of state for this reason, or so I hear. No license, no state record. I do think they are/have cut that out though? Maybe not?

huntinkev

The Company just bought a truck and the dealership sent the information to the county clerks office. When we went to get the tags, when the temp tags ran out, we paid the county clerk the taxes.

laserman

You can still buy an atv out of state with no tax. When and if you do title it in tn, you will then be charged the tax. Unless riding on street or orv park atv does not have to be titled. Ga and Alabama does not title atvs.

rem270

Camp David said:
People used to buy 4-wheelers out of state for this reason, or so I hear. No license, no state record. I do think they are/have cut that out though? Maybe not?

Yes they have.. I looked at buying one in Mississippi last year and they said at the end of the month they send all the tax paperwork to all the states that people came from to buy an atv. Then your state will send you a notice of when its due.