Car battery question!

P

PalsPal

Had issues with vehicle not starting last night.

Ended up at Autozone, where they checked the battery and said that it is bad. However, the battery was purchased from Walmart 06/16, and it has a three year replacement warranty, so the guy said Walmart should give me a free replacement.

So, he put it back in my vehicle and I drove home with it.

I plan to take it to Walmart this morning, but brought the battery in the house and charged it some last night, thinking I would be driving that vehicle out there.

I changed my mind and drove my wife's car, so I decided to try to run the battery down some and hooked it back up to my vehicle. I started it at least 10 times, and it wasn't dragging any. My question is will the battery still show bad when I take it to Walmart or do I need to drain it some more?

TreyB

TreyB

Did you have a loose connection possibly? The cold will drag it down quick. But I have never bought one from Walmart so have no clue. My BIL owns a battery co and he sells the crap out of them when he gets this cold. A lot of time with issues like yours. Kills a cell in one quick.

R

rbreedi1

If the Autozone employee performed the test correctly, yes it will show the same at Walmart regardless of charge.

P

PalsPal

rbreedi1":3hwfhywt said:
If the Autozone employee performed the test correctly, yes it will show the same at Walmart regardless of charge.

Thanks, that what I was hoping. He acted like he knew what he was doing.

Yeah Trey, there was another guy in there with the same issue. Got to give those guys credit for taking the batteries out and reinstalling in this cold. Plus the guy was honest with me about Walmart should replace it as I hadn't even noticed the warranty on it and couldn't remember how long it had been.

Chapman

Chapman

Walmart will charge it up before testing it. I had Auto Zone tell me a battery was bad and I took it to another parts store and they tested it good. He showed me the printout and said Auto Zone calls a lot of batteries bad that are good.

RUGER

RUGER

Supporter
Ya'lls walmarts must be different than mine.
I just walk in with it and say it's bad and they do the replacement or pro rate deal and I go get another battery.
Never had them do more than look enough to scan them, much less actually test them.

SilverFox

SilverFox

I've had bad luck with these battery testing machines. I had the batteries in my boat tested 2 or 3 times because of issues. They tested good every time. Finally replaced them and quit having issues. I did the same with the wife's van. After the 2nd time I had to go jump here off I replaced the battery... that was still showing good, and haven't had any more issues.

Good luck.

DaveB

DaveB

This thread is EXACTLY what happened to my daughter in early December. Literally. Car won't start. We jump, 5 hours later car been driven 40 miles won't start, we jump, go to autozone, they test, say battery has dead cell, is brand new almost, go back to wallyworld and get prorate new one.

Wife and Daughter go to wallyworld and explain. The clerk, without looking, nothing, says "yall cant trust them autozone (some word my daughter says is street slang for dumbA$$ people that work for white employers). The battery it'll test up good they always do. We don't refund nuttin that autozone done does 'cause they is always wrong"

SO Wife and daughter return home totally defeated and I have to jump down to Walmart and tell them prorate or replace, please call the manager. The girl starts in on me and I raise my voice, Call the manager now. Manager arrives he is just some poor guy totally beat down I ask him to get his Boss down here I am tired of talking with his hired help.

Big store manager comes, JUST HAPPENS to be the guy I helped when a display was teetering. We greet each other like long lost buddies, I tell him as word for word as I could the conversation between Wife and clerk and then tell him, I want the battery prorated and replaced. It can test good, I don't care.

Manager says, sounds good to me, turns to clerk, says make it happen use CODE xxx, turns to me, shakes my hand, walks away. Clerk is boiling over but I got the battery free.

P

PalsPal

Chapman":2lo1x1tn said:
Walmart will charge it up before testing it.

That's what they are doing. I will check back later.

I can understand if AZ was wanting to push a new battery on me, but he didn't. We'll see.

RUGER

RUGER

Supporter
DaveB":2luvr32d said:
This thread is EXACTLY what happened to my daughter in early December. Literally. Car won't start. We jump, 5 hours later car been driven 40 miles won't start, we jump, go to autozone, they test, say battery has dead cell, is brand new almost, go back to wallyworld and get prorate new one.

Wife and Daughter go to wallyworld and explain. The clerk, without looking, nothing, says "yall cant trust them autozone (some word my daughter says is street slang for dumbA$$ people that work for white employers). The battery it'll test up good they always do. We don't refund nuttin that autozone done does 'cause they is always wrong"

SO Wife and daughter return home totally defeated and I have to jump down to Walmart and tell them prorate or replace, please call the manager. The girl starts in on me and I raise my voice, Call the manager now. Manager arrives he is just some poor guy totally beat down I ask him to get his Boss down here I am tired of talking with his hired help.

Big store manager comes, JUST HAPPENS to be the guy I helped when a display was teetering. We greet each other like long lost buddies, I tell him as word for word as I could the conversation between Wife and clerk and then tell him, I want the battery prorated and replaced. It can test good, I don't care.

Manager says, sounds good to me, turns to clerk, says make it happen use CODE xxx, turns to me, shakes my hand, walks away. Clerk is boiling over but I got the battery free.

:super:

I bought a battery for my boat a few years ago and for some reason I didn't bring the old one with me so I had to pay the core charge.
The next day I go to buy another battery for the trolling motor and I take two "core" batteries with me.
One is the same brand that walmart sells and the other is labeled in about 4" tall letters RURAL KING. (It was on the boat when I bought it)

I walk up to what sounds like the same cashier your daughter had and explain to her:
I bought a battery yesterday and didn't bring the old one in so I brought one today to get my core charge back and then I brought this one to cover the battery I am buying today.

She was obviously bothered by my existance here on this earth and was furthermore LIVID that I would have the gall to bother her from chewing her gum and looking at her nails.
It took her about 10 minutes to decide how to do this process.
Then it took her about another 10 minutes to get off her cell phone after "homie" called her. Yes, she said, hey homie when she answered.

She scans both batteries (finally) and hands me (I think I remember) $24.00 cash. This is the core charge X2.
Uhh ok that will work.

Here is where she is supposed to scan the new battery I was buying and I pay for it.
Instead she says, "Put them there in dat buggy over dar" and walks away.

So here is one of those moments you run into in your life that defines who you are as a person.
I failed that one because I was PISSED.

I walk over and chunk 2 batteries into the cart over "dar" and proceed to the truck, receipt in hand, with my new battery.
Yes I was wrong and yes I knew I was wrong but by golly I figure 45 minutes of my time and being treated like I had been, well they got what they had coming.

Oh and yes I am a full believer in Karma.
The following year I bought yet another brand new battery and my son carried it to either Guntersville or to KY Lake duck hunting (don't remember which trip) and left it in the back end of the truck for some stupid reason.
BRAND NEW $125 battery gone.
Yeah I deserved that one. :)

P

PalsPal

I just called them, and they said that is bad, and told me to come in and they would give me a replacement.

iowavf

iowavf

RUGER":1q39ehox said:
DaveB":1q39ehox said:

I bought a battery for my boat a few years ago and for some reason I didn't bring the old one with me so I had to pay the core charge.
The next day I go to buy another battery for the trolling motor and I take two "core" batteries with me.
One is the same brand that walmart sells and the other is labeled in about 4" tall letters RURAL KING. (It was on the boat when I bought it)

I walk up to what sounds like the same cashier your daughter had and explain to her:
I bought a battery yesterday and didn't bring the old one in so I brought one today to get my core charge back and then I brought this one to cover the battery I am buying today.

She was obviously bothered by my existance here on this earth and was furthermore LIVID that I would have the gall to bother her from chewing her gum and looking at her nails.
Then it took her about another 10 minutes to get off her cell phone after "homie" called her. Yes, she said, hey homie when she answered.

She scans both batteries (finally) and hands me (I think I remember) $24.00 cash. This is the core charge X2.
Uhh ok that will work.

Here is where she is supposed to scan the new battery I was buying and I pay for it.

So here is one of those moments you run into in your life that defines who you are as a person.

I walk over and chunk 2 batteries into the cart over "dar" and proceed to the truck, receipt in hand, with my new battery.
Yes I was wrong and yes I knew I was wrong but by golly I figure 45 minutes of my time and being treated like I had been, well they got what they had coming.

The following year I bought yet another brand new battery and my son carried it to either Guntersville or to KY Lake duck hunting (don't remember which trip) and left it in the back end of the truck for some stupid reason.
I had one of those moments too but not at Wall Mart. Stopped on our way home from MN to get gas and something to eat. I was outside filling up the only vehicle at the pumps while my wife and daughter went inside. Went to the counter with some items and this kid and looked like his girl friend was behind the counter. He rings the stuff up and tells me the total, I told him he forgot the $58 worth of gas I put in. He looked at me and said ,"Hey I got your stuff rung up and taken care of already, you owe $12.50. I said my truck is setting at the pump, I filled it while they were in here and you forgot to charge me for the gas. Nope, sir as I told you before, I have your total all rang up and you owe $12.50! So I paid the kid $12.50 and left.

RUGER

RUGER

Supporter
iowavf":27xew69q said:
RUGER":27xew69q said:
DaveB":27xew69q said:

Uhh ok that will work.

I had one of those moments too but not at Wall Mart. Stopped on our way home from MN to get gas and something to eat. I was outside filling up the only vehicle at the pumps while my wife and daughter went inside. Went to the counter with some items and this kid and looked like his girl friend was behind the counter. He rings the stuff up and tells me the total, I told him he forgot the $58 worth of gas I put in. He looked at me and said ,"Hey I got your stuff rung up and taken care of already, you owe $12.50. I said my truck is setting at the pump, I filled it while they were in here and you forgot to charge me for the gas. Nope, sir as I told you before, I have your total all rang up and you owe $12.50! So I paid the kid $12.50 and left.
Lol I feel ya man.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

Jcalder

Jcalder

Supporter
RUGER":6n130wwz said:
DaveB":6n130wwz said:

Uhh ok that will work.

you weren't totally wrong lol. Went to Taco Bell several years. Had about a $10 order. Pulled out to the window with my card in hand. Window flung open, food came out nearly as fast and the window slammed behind her. I looked at the window and slowly put it in gear lol. Idiots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk