Can't buy a gobble

Deerbuster1996

Not a gobble. Called in a lone hen around 8:00, she stayed around for about 45 mins or so. It's getting depressing not hearing them gobble.

brewer88

Hunted the fort Friday and never heard a gobble, two weeks ago they were gobbling pretty good. Any ideas on what could cause the change? What do yall do when you don't hear anything? set up on a field and deer hunt em or move and try to get a response?

catman529

Gobbling was better this weekend. Although a large portion of the day was quiet. Early morning was good and a little in the evening as well. Not tearing up the woods, but better than it was last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catman529

brewer88":hkcdesac said:
Hunted the fort Friday and never heard a gobble, two weeks ago they were gobbling pretty good. Any ideas on what could cause the change? What do yall do when you don't hear anything? set up on a field and deer hunt em or move and try to get a response?
I'd never set up on a field and deer hunt them. Would get terribly bored...when they're quiet, I move around a lot. If I think I'm in a good spot based on recent observations of the area, I will set up and call and wait anywhere from 30min to an hour, calling occasionally, in case one comes in quiet. If I'm not seeing birds in any fields, I stay in the woods and try to strike one or call one blind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brewer88

I hear you catman, i figured my only option was a lot of walking, i moved around this weekend but still couldn't strike up a gobble, maybe I need more practice on my calls

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

catman529

brewer88":2p3bpofx said:
I hear you catman, i figured my only option was a lot of walking, i moved around this weekend but still couldn't strike up a gobble, maybe I need more practice on my calls

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
it's not your calls, they are just being quiet. If they will gobble at a crow, cow, owl or train horn then they will gobble at your calls even if they are crappy. They got lockjaw and are tough to hunt and not nearly as fun as when they shake the woods with that sound. Just keep at it, one bird will lose his head sooner or later and give himself away.

Latest posts