Canoe Registration with Trolling Motor

Legnip

Any tips for canoe registration? I'm mounting my old trolling motor to my canoe. I've paid the 3 year registration. The county clerk won't allow me to move forward unless I pay sales tax on the canoe the I've owned for +20 years. I purchased the canoe from Sam's, but must prove to the state that I've paid my taxes on the canoe. I thought that it was always innocent until proven guilty, but things are changing now. The County Clerk stated that they have asked someone with revenue. If I don't have proof that I've paid the sales tax, then I need to pay the tax again. I don't need to register a canoe, unless a motor is mounted to it. The same goes for the trolling motor, but magically if you combine the two, then thing get difficult to follow the rules.

TNCharlie

Any tips for canoe registration? I'm mounting my old trolling motor to my canoe. I've paid the 3 year registration. The county clerk won't allow me to move forward unless I pay sales tax on the canoe the I've owned for +20 years. I purchased the canoe from Sam's, but must prove to the state that I've paid my taxes on the canoe. I thought that it was always innocent until proven guilty, but things arebill changing now. The County Clerk stated that they have asked someone with revenue. If I don't have proof that I've paid the sales tax, then I need to pay the tax again. I don't need to register a canoe, unless a motor is mounted to it. The same goes for the trolling motor, but magically if you combine the two, then thing get difficult to follow the rules.

I've seen this work before. Make a bill of sale (include hull number and description) and have someone "sell" it to you (by signing the bill of sale) for $100 or whatever sounds good. Take that in to the county clerk and pay the tax on $100 or whatever.

I actually learned his from a county court clerk.

mike243

If it was Anderson county they would pull up Kelly blue book and make you pay based on that , seen it done when I was registering my toon years ago

rifle02

I went through the same exact thing several years ago. The canoe I'd had for several years purchased from Sportsman's Warehouse but I could not find a receipt. I just bit the bullet paid the sales tax based on the value that I declared. If I recall correctly there was some sort of form I filled out to declare a value. Just went ahead and did it paid the tax again. But that's what is going to be required. I'm not sure if it's a factor but it seems that Tennessee did not consider a canoe as a vessel suitable for power. I believe they said canoe and kayak are paddle craft. That's why I was not issued the Hull Identification form that you normally get to register with the state when you buy say a bass boat or other motor boat.

Big Pop

When you buy from a reputable dealer aren't you always going to pay sales tax? Apparently not in the eyes of the county clerk's office.

Legnip

I bought it from Sam's club +/-20 years ago, but they want to tax it again. I've paid for the 3 year registration. As far as I'm concerned, I'm square with the state.

Latest posts