Caney Boating Question

Back Home

Looks like the generation schedule is back to normal on Center Hill. I want to get back down to the Caney again this year, but want to bring my boat. I have a jon boat but only have a trolling motor.

Will just having a trolling motor keep me from getting back upstream? Bad idea?

jakeway

How powerfull is the trolling motor and how heavy is the jon boat? I think my MinnKota MX65 will go upstream with ine generator running, if the boat was a riveted 12 or 14 footer. It wouldn't push my welded aluminum SeaArk 1548.

I always go upstream first and then fish my way back. If you can't fight the current, or your batery/gas runs out, you just drift back down to the truck and fish around the landing.

Football Hunter

jakeway said:
How powerfull is the trolling motor and how heavy is the jon boat? I think my MinnKota MX65 will go upstream with ine generator running, if the boat was a riveted 12 or 14 footer. It wouldn't push my welded aluminum SeaArk 1548.

I always go upstream first and then fish my way back. If you can't fight the current, or your batery/gas runs out, you just drift back down to the truck and fish around the landing.
good idea

trealtree

I wouldnt count on your trolling motor to get you back upstream. Just call for a ride back to your truck once you get to your take out point.

I have tried and it burns the juice out of your battery and it just seems to take forever to go back upstream.

I have gone upstream before as someone else suggested and floated back down to where I put in. Works good depending on where you want to fish at.

Back Home

Thanks for all the advice. Considering Bowriter's beware, we took three fully charged marine batteries. We didn't go very fast, but we managed to go all the way from Betty's upstream to beyond the interstate.

All the fish must've been downstream though. Not a bite - all day! Worst day of fishing of my life and way, way too many people to move around.

Latest posts