can you replace large rifle primers with magnum

william martin

I cant find nd large rifle primers and was jst wondering if I could use magnum in the place and what I would need to do if I do so thanks

rdl65

I have before, just back off on the powder and watch for signs of pressure. Sometimes you have to light a fire with a different match when availability is an issue.

william martin

yea thats true on lightn a fire and yea I found several boxes of cci magnums and in my area but zero large so I guess we will give it a try

BirdDog123

I'm not sure about the large pistol but as long as you "work up" your reloads you will be fine.

You may want to expirement with different powders as well. I had the opposite scenario where I had small primers but needed small rifle magnums. The powder I was using was not easily ignited by regular small primer but a few other powders were better suited for it. Play around with it and see what you come up with!

Could we get specifics on what caliber, primer, bullet, charge, powder you are using? That might help

Hunter 257W

Winchester LR primers are called Std/Mag primers. As always if there is any doubt whatsoever back off your powder charge and work back up watching for pressure signs. Especially true if the load in question is already operating at Max pressure.

BirdDog123

you will not get the same results using the same charge with large primer vs. magnum but there are plenty of people who do use magnums in .243 and 25-06.. especially for bullets around 100grains and above. just work up and you should be good! let us know your results after going to the range.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
MUP said:
I've also been told that lg pistol primers could also be used for lg rifle applications, is this also doable w/o much, if any, load mods?

Be careful with this, as the cup guage is not as thick on pistol primers and it is much easier to get a ruptured primer from a high pressure rifle load. Also, from what I hace heard, the pistol primers are shallower than rifle primers and can be easily overseated, either during the seating process, or from firing pin strike, not allowing as consistent of ignition.

MUP

EastTNHunter said:
MUP said:
I've also been told that lg pistol primers could also be used for lg rifle applications, is this also doable w/o much, if any, load mods?

Be careful with this, as the cup guage is not as thick on pistol primers and it is much easier to get a ruptured primer from a high pressure rifle load. Also, from what I hace heard, the pistol primers are shallower than rifle primers and can be easily overseated, either during the seating process, or from firing pin strike, not allowing as consistent of ignition.

Thanks East! Just wondering, as I haven't ever tried it, but an older gent here at work says it can be done in a pinch.

Team Browning

When I was looking for small pistol primers a couple of weeks ago, a guy at the reloading store explained that you can swap small rifle for small pistol in some rounds - .40 S&W specifically. With the shortage of primers these days, I believe we will see more of this type question being asked.