Camping at Citico creek

Before summer is over my brother is gonna come down for the first time in years and he wants to camp, everyone I've talked to recommended Citico because it's basic, secluded and free. I've googled around and can't really find anything useful on how to get there from Blount county, and how to find the campsites. Anyone with any experience? Any pointers for a memorable trip?

waterman

camped there a long time ago. doublecamp was the name of the campground. first come first serve, free campground. about 50 sites. above the bridge was single barbless hooks only, but that was a long time ago

Crow Terminator

You can get there a couple of ways. One way, you'll need a front end alignment after you go....that would be the way in from Vonore. The easiest way for you would probably be to get on I75 south and get off at the Sweetwater exit 60...go to Tellico Plains on Hwy 68 and then hit the Skyway. Go to the Indian Boundary turn off and just before you get to the entrance gate to Indian Boundary, there's a road to the right. Take it...pavement soon ends and you'll be on a gravel rd that is full of ruts and holes but that's the road down the mtn to Citico creek and the campgrounds. As soon as you see the water, you can turn left or right....right takes you to the submarine bridge campgrounds and left takes you to Doublecamp bridge campgrounds, and more campgrounds further down stream.

A few things to consider:

1. There's no cell service at all once you get past Tellico. So be prepared...those ruts and potholes are tire poppers.

2. Sites are first come first serve and lately there have been people basically living at them.

3. This time of year the stream gets really low and they stop stocking it for trout, so keep that in mind if you planned on fishing. Special permit still applies too.

Otherwise there's not anything else there. Indian Boundary is about the highlight of what to do. Or drive the back roads. Be aware...that place is copperhead laden. I definitely wouldn't go walking around the camp sites in sandals or flip flops to pee at night.

Mattt

I shouldn't do this. North river is another option. I think most of the camping is fee now but the dispersed areas may not be. I haven't been in there in a year and don't pay attention to the camps much

CATCHDAWG

I shouldn't do this.
But since you did… LoL. You are correct, the main North River campground is still a fee area but the designated primitive sites are still free. Should someone need something, Green Cove is just down the road and not to awful far to go all the way into town. Gotta be lucky to get a site on the weekends but usually doable through the week. I like North River and would pick it over Citico.

Rabbitkil

Another thing about citico is there is TONS of traffic on that road and majority of it is gravel so prepare to deal with the dust. It can be hard to get a site at some parts of the year because it is first come… it sucks to pay to camp but the only way to guarantee a decent experience is to go that route if it was me I'd camp at Indian boundary and venture out from there

timberjack86

There's a spot on the left before you drop off the mountain into citico creek. We usually camp there and avoid all the yahoos. Still see traffic but it's quiet late at night and a short drive down the mountain to the creek to fish in the morning. Crow is absolutely right about snakes. A guy stopped in the road one day backed up drove forward and backed up again. He hollered and said your welcome. He ran over a rattlesnake that was crawling into our camp. 13 rattles and a button!! I usually don't like to see snakes killed but was glad he ran that one over!

rmmonty32

Fyi they fixed the road from the vonore side so its not a bad drive anymore. Jakes best and Young branch are pay campsites but are nice spots with privies.

mike243

Piss on Indian Boundry, got locked out of there coming back from a wedding a few years ago, gate locked and wasn't leaving my truck setting on the road. never been any where that I wasn't allowed to come and go as I pleased. I wanted to bust the lock off the gate and the wife vetoed that. Went back the next afternoon and got my camper

Latest posts