Camp style pasta and sauce.......................

FULLDRAWXX75

Last night I was lookin' for something a little different to put on the table, being a single dad and cookin' for two kids all the time I like to mix it up a bit to keep the boredom & complaining to a min.

I decided to run with pasta and sauce with a little twist.......................I started out with a 10qt. cast iron dutch oven, added @ 3T olive oil and one coursely chopped onion. one red bell pepper chopped,3 garlic cloves & a lb. of fresh baby portabella mushrooms sliced..........saute'd until cooked through.

I didn't have any hamburger in the house so I decided to add some venison into the mix..................when I process my deer, I use the larger pieces of frt. shoulder meat (taken off the scapula bone) as a "pepper steak" cut, I use it for stir fry, stroganoff, etc. Well, last night I took out about 2 lbs and thin sliced(1/8" thick) the entire package, I dusted it with a seasoning mixture (made and stored in an airtight container for future use) 2 parts salt, 1 part blk pepper & garlic powder, then cover with a light coat of flour.

I removed the onion mixture and bumped the heat up to high, added 2T oil until the pot started to smoke then in went the venison to sear/brown quickly, as soon as it was all browned, I dumped the onion mixture back into the pot and stirred all together. I then added one jar of pasta sauce(home style) and a small can of diced tomatoes, simmered for @ 15 mins. while the pasta cooked.

Served with garlic bread and tossed salad..................................

My son, who is not a big sauce eater, had seconds and commented on making "that" again.

FDXX75

FULLDRAWXX75

BowGuy84 said:
Sounds good...cast iron dutch over that large sounds awesome.

It sits on the stove 24/7, I use it no less than 3-4 days a wk. to cook stuff in.

It is my go to pot for all my soup/stew starter sauteeing/browning, etc.

Everything goes through the cast iron dutch oven for the first hr. or so, then transfers to the crock pot for the final stages of cooking.

FDXX75

PS: It is a Lodge brand, I have found their cast iron cookware to be of very good quality and hold their seasoning for better that the cheap japan/china crap. You pay a little more for it, but worth every penny in performance and clean up, it will last forever if taken care of properly.

FULLDRAWXX75

feisty red head said:
and Lodge is a TN business

Yep, USA/American made.

About 3 months ago I wanted to buy a cast iron griddle, TSC had a Lodge griddle for @ $58.00, They also had a complete set of China cast iron cookware set (3 skillets, 1 dutch oven, 1 griddle, lid lifter & muffin pan) For $65.00.................Well, the set was very, very tempting, but once I felt the surface of the two griddles...............it was Lodge all the way. The China made set was so rough, I nearly shredded my hand on it. I am sure my pancakes would have released real well from that. LOL

The Lodge griddle makes the best dang cakes, no a single one has stuck to it and they get the nicest shade of golden brown............

FDXX75

Latest posts