California plates

Shanman

Was looking for a storage unit around Lenoir City couple months ago and couldn't find one available. Manager at one of the sites said it was unbelievable the number of folks fleeing Dem controlled states. Had one policeman that had retired from Cali because of having their hands tied, rented a storage unit, and finally settled in Tellico Village. He told his buddies about the area and 8 of them retired and moved out here, 4 using the same trucker.
Would really be nice if people would fix their problems at home, goes for south of the border too. Because of the mass migration and market demand, a local can't afford property around here anymore....if you can find it.

WTM

Supporter
I think people should be judged by their character and not by some stupid plate on their car.
The nice thing about America is the freedom to live where we want.
Just because you were born in a state doesn’t mean you own it.
Don’t we have enough domestic adversaries without adding more because we don’t like where they’re from?
yeah but when folks move in droves it over burdens infrastructure and with that comes skyrocketing taxes and fees and land/housing prices so high it prices locals out. then you create these retirement communities that pushes the young generation out due to lack of job creation other than govt or service industry jobs.

this creates tension no matter where you are.

GreyGoose

They sell their million dollar homes (which may be a $300,000.00 house here) and come here and buy homes/land for so much less.Plus lax taxes,etc….
As long as they don’t bring their political views then we would be fine but we all know how this will probably play out.😡

Chiflyguy

^^^^^^This^^^^^^
I would say this applies not only to their plate but where they were born, etc. American citizens period are American citizens. As President Trump once said, "There are good people on both sides". Before you flame, Im not talking about the nut job liberals who want to destroy our country.
I agree 100% with this a statement
yeah but when folks move in droves it over burdens infrastructure and with that comes skyrocketing taxes and fees and land/housing prices so high it prices locals out. then you create these retirement communities that pushes the young generation out due to lack of job creation other than govt or service industry jobs.

this creates tension no matter where you are.
I’m picking up what you’re putting down.
I sure ain’t selling no million dollar home. Fixin thing for a living don’t pay that well.
I paid $25,000 for my 2 acres and half done house. No subdivision for me. I don’t like restrictions.
i wonder how many move back after a few years.

DoubleRidge

Get away from the coast and the cities and the great majority of the people in California are conservative; they're just outnumbered by a huge margin.

Large land and ranch owners....the county map during a presidential election is actually surprising how many vote conservative.....it's just as mentioned....the major metropolitan areas are just huge and full of liberal nut jobs.

Crow Terminator

I agree it could be rentals too. I’ve never had a rental with TN tags. The last two I had were Michigan and Ohio. I felt like I was going to get flipped off everywhere for driving the one from Ohio. In town locally, I am seeing a bunch of tags from Texas.

Grainger

Supporter
Lots of furriners showing up around here, too. Huntsville is slated to become the largest city in Alabama in the next few years and I do mean FEW years. It's a tech hub for everything from high speed internet to highly advanced military R&D and NASA rocket ships and everything in between. FB is building a 1B$ hub there. Google is already in place not far away in Stevenson. Due to all that constantly growing technology, Huntsville never sees a recession that's very noticeable. I hate to see all that growth coming even though I live 50 miles out. THOUSANDS make the 50 mile commute every day and thousands more will be looking to buy homes away from the city. Vacant homes and apartments do not currently exist, at least anywhere anyone would want to hang their hat. New subdivisions are being started as soon as land can be acquired. The rate development is saddening and when I see close in but yet rural land sprouting $400K houses 30 feet apart it's just plain depressing. Yep, there will be loads and loads of outsiders here in short order. God help us.
“furriners”. LOL!

Bambi Buster

Lots of furriners showing up around here, too. Huntsville is slated to become the largest city in Alabama in the next few years and I do mean FEW years. It's a tech hub for everything from high speed internet to highly advanced military R&D and NASA rocket ships and everything in between. FB is building a 1B$ hub there. Google is already in place not far away in Stevenson. Due to all that constantly growing technology, Huntsville never sees a recession that's very noticeable. I hate to see all that growth coming even though I live 50 miles out. THOUSANDS make the 50 mile commute every day and thousands more will be looking to buy homes away from the city. Vacant homes and apartments do not currently exist, at least anywhere anyone would want to hang their hat. New subdivisions are being started as soon as land can be acquired. The rate development is saddening and when I see close in but yet rural land sprouting $400K houses 30 feet apart it's just plain depressing. Yep, there will be loads and loads of outsiders here in short order. God help us.
This is the new, kinder, gentler, woker 2021. They aren't furrners, they're undocumented Alabamans. Row Tide! ;)

WTM

Supporter
I agree 100% with this a statement

I’m picking up what you’re putting down.
I sure ain’t selling no million dollar home. Fixin thing for a living don’t pay that well.
I paid $25,000 for my 2 acres and half done house. No subdivision for me. I don’t like restrictions.
i wonder how many move back after a few years.
yeah i dont know, i think more retirees stay and die here than younger folks. maybe like it was back in the 40’s, 50’s and 60’s when a lot of sourtherners went north and west to work, some came back and some stayed.

Chiflyguy

yeah i dont know, i think more retirees stay and die here than younger folks. maybe like it was back in the 40’s, 50’s and 60’s when a lot of sourtherners went north and west to work, some came back and some stayed.
It might not be a large number but I’m sure a lot of people are making big decisions based on emotions.
The ones that make me laugh are the ones who buy bare land and don’t have a clue what a well or septic is and then freak when they see how much it costs to get done.
Watch the poll numbers next election. It will be interesting results.

poorhunter

I know many many very conservative Californians/former Californians, as well as people from Illinois and NY. I’ll admit not very many from the Northeast, but there are a lot of conservatives in California.

PalsPal

The ones that make me laugh are the ones who buy bare land and don’t have a clue what a well or septic is and then freak when they see how much it costs to get done.
I'm aware of a guy locally who bought land, put in a double wide, moved in, and only then inquired about internet service. Frontier is only available currently and they told them that they won't do it because they are maxed out in that area. Also, cell reception is very spotty in that remote part if the county.

Chiflyguy

I know many many very conservative Californians/former Californians, as well as people from Illinois and NY. I’ll admit not very many from the Northeast, but there are a lot of conservatives in California.
This is why most of the state hates Chicago.

Attachments

You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

Chiflyguy

Been to Huntsville/Decatur a few times to purchase machinery. I’m a big fan of Big Bob Gibsons.
That’s a big city. My niece goes to college there.

BuckWild

Supporter
I've got new neighbors that just moved here from CA. Don't think I've ever met anyone who are such hardcore conservatives. They have been here for two months and have already purchased 4 houses. One for them and three for some of their employees that are moving with them. Last Friday the wife stopped by the house and said she was heading to Gatlinburg to look at some investment property to purchase.

They have 23 rentals in CA and have started selling them off. They are reinvesting here to avoid paying capital gains taxes. They are from Northern CA and are absolutely done with that state...

WTM

Supporter
I've got new neighbors that just moved here from CA. Don't think I've ever met anyone who are such hardcore conservatives. They have been here for two months and have already purchased 4 houses. One for them and three for some of their employees that are moving with them. Last Friday the wife stopped by the house and said she was heading to Gatlinburg to look at some investment property to purchase.

They have 23 rentals in CA and have started selling them off. They are reinvesting here to avoid paying capital gains taxes. They are from Northern CA and are absolutely done with that state...
yeah and that is what is hiking up real estate prices, investors gobbling up single family homes and renting them out creating a bubble of sorts.

WTM

Supporter
It might not be a large number but I’m sure a lot of people are making big decisions based on emotions.
Watch the poll numbers next election. It will be interesting results.
the major voting block remembers what the democrats did in the 90’s and early 2000’s and the reason most boomer voters are voting republican now. i dont see TN going back democrat unless a whole bunch of millenial age voters move here.

the problem with even so called “conservative” folks from cali or even ohio, is what they do to local politics. we had some folks move here back about 15 years ago claiming to be “conservative”. this gal ran under the republican ticket and wanted to institute a wheel tax in order to lower property taxes on the tn river district, which she had bought some lake front property. fun times, that gal about caused a riot a couple of times.

Methane

Could be a lot of rental cars as well with the state of the rental car business.

Lots of decent folks moving here from those states. The big city populations and Southern California give the rest of them a bad name. I believe world renowned bow hunter Chuck Adams is from Northern California.
It is very difficult to get a rental car right now

Latest posts