Caldwell lead sled??

Dbllunger

Dbllunger

Supporter
Anyone have any experience with the Caldwell lead sleds. Cabelas has the DFT2 model on sale for $129.88 vs normal $219. I received a pretty good gift card from my parents for christmas and thought I would use it for this. I was wondering what peoples experience was with them. Worth the price or trouble? Well built? It seems it would make sighting in a snap.

rem270

rem270

Supporter
I have one and really like it.

TNRifleman

TNRifleman

It is well built and with weight on it will eliminate recoil

HOWEVER, I found it hard to get "on the rifle" to get a consistent cheek weld that would carry over into the field. Additionally, your point of impact will likely change a little once the gun is shot from the shoulder and not the sled. And, finally, lead sleds have been know to kills scopes due to the way they stop the recoil.

You will find some people that will swear by them but I am a leather bag rest guy for sure.

cbhunter

cbhunter

Supporter
I have zero experience with them but a lot of folks on here say they will destroy your scope. I assume from the gun being secured so well and the scope absorbing a lot of impact/recoil.

Pic IN the Casa

Pic IN the Casa

Used one for years. Great for zeroing in.

I have heard the discussion of destroying the scope. The sled is not 'anchored' down. Seems to me that would be the only way the energy from the recoil could possibly damage a scope.

Shooter77

Shooter77

Supporter
Love my DFT and have for a few years. I only put about 25Lbs of weight on mine so I get a little bit of recoil from it. I've heard about he scope problem and agree if you make it so heavy it doens't move, year i could see that. Be like the old Leopold drop test they showed on their commercials. I have to agree, it's not the easiest to snuggle up too, but get your gun sighted in good, then shoot 3-5 with out and see if your still on. found it to be with in a 1/4-1/2" every time if it does change any.

Dbllunger

Dbllunger

Supporter
Thanks for the info guys. Gonna go ahead and pull the trigger and get this lil puppy. The gift card will cover the price plus leave some leftover to buy some ammo!

infoman jr.

infoman jr.

I would've spent that money on something else, but it seems I'm late to the party. Enjoy! :)

H

Hunter 257W

I prefer leather sand bags over any type rest myself. They are infinitely adjustable and fit any rifle. I have several sets of them.

JimFromTN

JimFromTN

I have had a couple of bad experiences with them. I did not break my scope on my 12 ga slug gun but it was no longer sighted in after shooting it out of a led sled. The other experience I had, it broke my scope mounts shooting a 338 win mag. They were the cheap leupold 2 piece bases which I never use anymore and would never recommend. It broke off of the back base and slid up thru the front rings causing the scope to get a nice rash. I now strictly use a caldwell rock and a rear shooting bag.

D

Deer Whisperer

Dbllunger, you are welcome to borrow mine any time you want. I have bags of lead that you can add as needed. Let me know and I will hook you up.

Snake

Snake

I bought one from Pic in the casa and only use it for sighting in but don't see why they wouldn't be good for any other application . Shooting house should be good . I like mine .

Dbllunger

Dbllunger

Supporter
Deer Whisperer":356o4ic4 said:
Dbllunger, you are welcome to borrow mine any time you want. I have bags of lead that you can add as needed. Let me know and I will hook you up.

Thanks, I appreciate it but I went ahead and ordered it. Looking forward to getting it out soon and getting my AR sighted in and double checking all my other rifles.

T

tndanny

Dbllunger":2kmlwm7v said:
Anyone have any experience with the Caldwell lead sleds. Cabelas has the DFT2 model on sale for $129.88 vs normal $219. I received a pretty good gift card from my parents for christmas and thought I would use it for this. I was wondering what peoples experience was with them. Worth the price or trouble? Well built? It seems it would make sighting in a snap.
If your shooting shotgun they work great. Rifle diffrent story. Sighting rifle in on leadsled then shoot off bags you will be about 8 inches high.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

B

BlackBelt

I've been using a Caldwell Lead Sled DFT (generation one) since they first came out. I got all the accessories but never use the shot weight bags simply because they are not really needed for my shooting purposes.
I have not had any of the problems mentioned here about broken scopes, scope mounts or broken stocks.

I have also not had the issues mentioned here about the scope zero changing from where it was set when the gun was fired from the rest to where it is fired from the shoulder. I believe that if that is the case for someone they may not be getting their shoulder enough behind the buttstock pocket on the rest. It does take really getting behind it into shooting position to insure getting the best zero possible with any brand rest, not just the Lead Sleds. It is easier to develop incorrect shooting posture with any good quality brand of rest because they do a lot of the stabilization work for you.

I really like the 'dual frame technology' which allows rifles with magazines that extend down several inches to be used. However, not every magazine will fit between the dual rails. 30 round AR15/M16 mags and HK G3 mags fit with no problems. 30 round AK47 mags do not fit between the rails. I have to use 5 round AK mags when shooting any version of my AK's because the 5 rd mags do not extend very far below the weapons receiver.

infoman jr.

infoman jr.

tndanny":1p0su26f said:
Sighting rifle in on leadsled then shoot off bags you will be about 8 inches high.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Surely-You-Cant-Be-Serious-In-Airplane-Gif.gif