Buying a used boat

mathews338

I have heard of guys that buy a boat cheap just to sale and make money on and they don't register it so they don't have to pay taxes and make their profits bigger.

scn

Buckblaster said:
Apparently nobody registers boats in their name anymore. So its almost impossible to get one registered in your name if you buy from someone like this. :mad:

Hope you realize that is a Dept. of Revenue deal concerning the payment of sales tax and not a TWRA issue.

Buckblaster

R.I.P.
scn said:
Buckblaster said:
Apparently nobody registers boats in their name anymore. So its almost impossible to get one registered in your name if you buy from someone like this. :mad:

Hope you realize that is a Dept. of Revenue deal concerning the payment of sales tax and not a TWRA issue.
Im aware of that. But isnt there a fine for improper registration if the boat isnt in your name even if current in tags?

scn

Buckblaster said:
scn said:
Buckblaster said:

Im aware of that. But isnt there a fine for improper registration if the boat isnt in your name even if current in tags?

Yes, if you own and operate the boat it must be registered in your name. It would be a violation to continue to operate it in the previous owner's name even if the registration has not run out.

Slaughter-06

Why is it a problem to put it your name if the boat is not reported as stollen?
Seems like you could just pay the fee and have it put in your name?

ClubHead

Slaughter-06 said:
Why is it a problem to put it your name if the boat is not reported as stollen?
Seems like you could just pay the fee and have it put in your name?
Cause you have to have a notorized bill of sale from who the boat is registered to.Alot of people buy boats and fish out of them as long as the boat registration is good and say they borrowed them.

catman529

I bought a boat last winter and in order to register it in williamson county I needed not only the notarized bill of sale but also the previous owner's registration card.

After finding one boat overturned in a river (it had tags and was returned to owner), I am wondering, what if I find another abandoned boat, but with no identifying marks at all, and I want to register it so I can put a motor on it? How would I do that?

7mmDeathPunch

I also bought a boat last year from a guy at my work. The guy i bought it from literly buys anything he finds at a good price on craigslist and turns around and makes profit on it. Lucky the boat had current regestration decals on it but they run out this year, 2012 was the last year of registration.

In other words i have no bill of sale, am i about to be jumping throught hoops paying money out of my ass to get this thing titled?

scn

7mmDeathPunch said:
I also bought a boat last year from a guy at my work. The guy i bought it from literly buys anything he finds at a good price on craigslist and turns around and makes profit on it. Lucky the boat had current regestration decals on it but they run out this year, 2012 was the last year of registration.

In other words i have no bill of sale, am i about to be jumping throught hoops paying money out of my ass to get this thing titled?

You are in violation of state law if you are running that boat on the other owner's registration. It DOES NOT matter if it has current decals. It has to be registered in your name. By law, the previous owner is required to mail his registration card into TWRA when he/she sells the boat. You do not have a valid registration to be operating the boat.

IMO, you are going to have to have a bill of sale from the person you bought it from to even have a chance of registering it. Some counties require the bill of sale to be notorized.If the previous owner did not pay sales tax on their purchase, then that may have to be done before it can be registered by you.

I would suggest that you call or see your county court clerk to see exactly what they are going to require from you.

Again, these are not TWRA hoops you are jumping through. The hoops are from Dept. of Revenue regulations.

7mmDeathPunch

I never stated anything about TWRA, because your right it has nothing to do with them.

But thats sort of what I figured.

My main issue( and I didnt no anything about regestering a boat at the time, otherwise i would not have bought it) the guy i bought it from of course doesnt have a bill of sale, and lord knows who he bought it from because he no longer works here.

I gota feeling this is going to be very painfull

scn

7mmDeathPunch said:
I never stated anything about TWRA, because your right it has nothing to do with them.

But thats sort of what I figured.

My main issue( and I didnt no anything about regestering a boat at the time, otherwise i would not have bought it) the guy i bought it from of course doesnt have a bill of sale, and lord knows who he bought it from because he no longer works here.

I gota feeling this is going to be very painfull

I know you did not point to TWRA. I put that in there so others reading would know where the hoops are located.

7mm08

Buckblaster said:

I had to get my used boat registered in my name to get a trailer license plate. Someone is thinking.....that''s not required in TN....BUT since I haul mine to SC TO FISH, the state of NC requires ALL trailers passing through to have a tag. Know the laws of surrounding states you plan to pass through because yes you need to get it legal

Latest posts