Burris or Vortex?

Realtree56

Gonna put some new glass on a Remington 700 .270, taking the 3x9 Nikon off and putting it on another rifle… with what I'm willing to spend I'm down to a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 or a Burris 4.5-14x42 Fullfield E1. Any opinions on either or both scopes would be appreciated.

Realtree56

Burris would be my choice. I own several Burris scopes, no issues with any of them.
I have a friend with both models, I looked through them both and I will say the Burris was a touch clearer and had a little more magnification… it took some elbow grease to twist the magnification setting though, it was seriously tight, I didn't like that at all but didn't know if it was common on Burris scopes or not

backyardtndeer

I have a friend with both models, I looked through them both and I will say the Burris was a touch clearer and had a little more magnification… it took some elbow grease to twist the magnification setting though, it was seriously tight, I didn't like that at all but didn't know if it was common on Burris scopes or not
I have not had any issues with twisting the power ring on any of the models I have.

I have just one vortex scope, and it is a lower line, crossfire 2. Hard to compare really, but if I was comparing to the fullfield II that I have, the Burris is definitely clearer and brighter. Have had that same Burris scope on my Rock River varmint for quite a good time, at least 15 years. Very accurate setup with that scope, my go to for busting crows or other vermin.

Union Co. Boy

I have a vortex on a Winchester Model 70. I don't hunt much with it because I don't like the scope at all. Terrible eye relief and just not as clear as I'd hoped. Been looking at Burris and Sig Whiskey 3 as a replacement for that one and to top a new gun. May put the Vortex on my 17 HMR.

Dirtcop

Gonna put some new glass on a Remington 700 .270, taking the 3x9 Nikon off and putting it on another rifle… with what I'm willing to spend I'm down to a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 or a Burris 4.5-14x42 Fullfield E1. Any opinions on either or both scopes would be appreciated.
Just purchased the Burris and am pleased with it. Don't own a vortex

skipperbrown

What is your budget? What type of reticle do you want? Illumination? Do you like to dial up or hold over (tree type reticle) or both? Preferred magnification? Normal shooting ranges? There are a lot of good scopes out there besides Vortex and Burris.

Hunter79

I have Burris on my 204 ruger and wife has one on her 7mm08 no issues and love them.I do have vortex binos that are great as well but no experience with there scopes

Realtree56

What is your budget? What type of reticle do you want? Illumination? Do you like to dial up or hold over (tree type reticle) or both? Preferred magnification? Normal shooting ranges? There are a lot of good scopes out there besides Vortex and Burris.
I'm trying to keep it under 300$, it is a hunting rifle so it's not seeing tons of rounds every year but it gets some run… I've always had Nikons with the bdc reticle, since they got out of scopes gonna have to decide on something else. I've got a couple of spots that give shot opportunities out to 300ish yards. I've had the 3x9 forever and wanted to step up to at least having 12x magnification.

double browtine

If you could find a Burris full field 2 ballistic plex , I would go with that. I don't know if they still make them new, but the one I have on my .300 win mag has held up great over the last 10-12 years. I don't own a vortex but I have looked thru a high end vortex with adjustable turrets that my brother in law has on his begara 6.5 x55 it is really nice. He shoots out to 800 yards with it.

backyardtndeer

I'm trying to keep it under 300$, it is a hunting rifle so it's not seeing tons of rounds every year but it gets some run… I've always had Nikons with the bdc reticle, since they got out of scopes gonna have to decide on something else. I've got a couple of spots that give shot opportunities out to 300ish yards. I've had the 3x9 forever and wanted to step up to at least having 12x magnification.
Here you go, I am not a midway fan, but this is a really good deal on this scope at $277 after adding to your cart https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022349421. I may actually buy one myself for a build I am working on.

Jcalder

I don't have any experience with Burris but this scope is fine glass for the money, and light years ahead of the diamondback.

GMB54

I don't have any experience with Burris but this scope is fine glass for the money, and light years ahead of the diamondback.
Yes it is and occasionally they have the Diamondback HP for about $200 which is also better than a standard Diamondback. Same kind of glass XD/XR as the Vipers and 4" of eye relief.

Only $180 atm at EuroOptics too.

jlanecr500

And for another $50 you get exposed elevation turret and BDC reticle with the Viper HSLR.
This is the BDC setup on my 40cal Smoleless Muzzleloader with a 100yard zero.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210630-120421_Strelok+.jpg
    Screenshot_20210630-120421_Strelok+.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 92

Latest posts