Burris FF4 review

REN

currently I run a FF3 on both my turkey guns mounted on a speed bead. Never had a single issue after years of use but as I've gotten older my eyes have gotten worse lol so my only wish the past few years was a site with the same footprint but a larger screen. I'm addition I have always found that the FF have a curve in the screen that can cause a parallax view at the edges, not a big deal but it was a bother at times.

Recently looked at a FF4 and decided to order one to check out due to the specs.
The screen is much wider which is fantastic! With the wider screen I also don't get the weird object bends at the edges as much another great plus.

The on/off manual brightness is the same however now off is just holding down the button for 3secs vs remembering to hit the button 3x more to the off setting. Love that minor change personally. Dot is the same but has 4 more options you can rotate. This part I don't care about cause I only use the 3moa dot but may like it.

Overall build is still just as solid but the battery compartment has an updated lid making it easier to get on and off without stripping the top lid slot which again I appreciate

Another cool feature is it comes with a MUCH better sealed rain hood that can screw in to make it an enclosed site. The hood lens is quality and doesn't impact the view at all which is great. Love this option to keep on a lot of days just to keep dust and debris out of the inside of the site!

Overall it's a fantastic update and upgrade if you have some of the same wishes on the FF3. Grated price is much higher so that part has to be weighed out to the user. For me the price is worth the upgrade just for the bigger screen, granted I get min at a discount from my work so the offset cost wasn't as high as retail.

Pic for an example of the size difference

998C738E-80B8-41DB-AD6F-63F35E9D6908.jpeg

TheLBLman

Overall build is still just as solid but the battery compartment has an updated lid making it easier to get on and off without stripping the top lid slot which again I appreciate

Another cool feature is it comes with a MUCH better sealed rain hood that can screw in to make it an enclosed site. The hood lens is quality . . . . . Love this option to keep on a lot of days just to keep dust and debris out of the inside of the site!
Sounds like a couple nice upgrades!

Main complaint I ever had of the early models was regarding the battery compartment.

The FF4 sounds just overall better & tougher than the 3.

megalomaniac

Great review, ty for taking the time to post!

I'm just the opposite... I want my field of view as small as possible in the screen. I shoot with both eyes open, and mount my reflex sight (vortex venom) as far away from my eyes as possible to reduce the field of vrew even smaller, so I'm seeing the rest of the world with my real eyes (a hen in front or behind, etc) As you can see in the pic, I use a picatinny rail and the sight is almost over the barrel.

I instinctively point the shotgun, which gets the turkey head in the reflex sight. Then with a 3moa dot mounted as far away from my eyes as possible, the 3moa dot is just the perfectly small size to aim small, miss small for me.

I do hate the vortex venom does not have an automatic shutoff in case you forget an leave it on. I also hate that it's usually too bright when you first turn it on.

And the vortex has no rain cover. Just miserable when hunting in the rain and a bird is working in and you have to make sure the lens is dry so you don't get the Starburst effect.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230324_210220_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230324_210220_Gallery.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 44

Layne

I went with a holosun 507k x2 green and haven't looked back I went with as well, love this sight.
I went with the holosun as well, I have the 507c x2 green and love that sight.
I find the green reticle to be better for my eyes, the red on my eotech has a starburst effect which they say can be from astigmatism, no problem with the green.

Have the 407c on my pistol as well.

Layne

I'm just the opposite... I want my field of view as small as possible in the screen. I shoot with both eyes open, and mount my reflex sight (vortex venom) as far away from my eyes as possible to reduce the field of vrew even smaller, so I'm seeing the rest of the world with my real eyes (a hen in front or behind, etc) As you can see in the pic, I use a picatinny rail and the sight is almost over the barrel.

I instinctively point the shotgun, which gets the turkey head in the reflex sight. Then with a 3moa dot mounted as far away from my eyes as possible, the 3moa dot is just the perfectly small size to aim small, miss small for me.

I do hate the vortex venom does not have an automatic shutoff in case you forget an leave it on. I also hate that it's usually too bright when you first turn it on.

And the vortex has no rain cover. Just miserable when hunting in the rain and a bird is working in and you have to make sure the lens is dry so you don't get the Starburst effect.
I agree with the sight being further away from my eye... I put a Meadow Creek Mount on my gun and really like having the sight further down the barrel. With those mounts you can put the sight as far down the barrel as you like... it also allows the controls to be right above my hand for easy of use without much movement.

REN

Cool how people like different views. I have always shoot both eyes open same as you describe but for turkey I've always much more preferred as close to my eyes as possible vs far away. Just what I've always liked and felt more comfortable with

I do however prefer a smaller sight picture but with reflex the bend in the screen and the frame being there has always bothered me which is why I bring it closer to expand my FOV. all just personal preference

REN

I went with the holosun as well, I have the 507c x2 green and love that sight.
I find the green reticle to be better for my eyes, the red on my eotech has a starburst effect which they say can be from astigmatism, no problem with the green.

Have the 407c on my pistol as well.

Agreed on the green and wish Burris had that option. I still do get a starburst but not as bad.

Latest posts