Burris Fastfire 3 - Bad First Impression

ewc

I think it may be more in the speedbead mount, than the site itself. I had a devil of a time getting the one on my daughter's gun to stay at the same POI. You can move the mount side-side and up and down by pressing on the mount.

I finally tightened it as best as I could, remembering where the dot needs to be in relation to my front sight, and carry the adjustment tools in my vest.

It worked like a charm this past Saturday. I do think I will drill and tap the receiver for next year - for a more sturdy mount.

Andy S.

I agree ewc, I think the speedbead was as much of the problem as the sight itself, if not the complete culprit. I hated how you could push the speedbead base with your thumb and the POA move constantly, even with my stock being tightened to the point that I barely got it off yesterday (with my buddy's help). The speedbead just wasn't my cup of tea, especially for something as important in my eyes as my turkey gun. I took the speedbead mount off yesterday and am returning it to Amazon today. I ordered the 336 base and will have a gunsmith drill and tap my receiver at some point for next year. In the meantime, I will go with what I know and shoot my sights that I have shot the last several years without any probelms. For me the speedbead and red dot was more of a want and not so much a need, thus I will suffice with what I got until I have more time to invest in getting the gun drilled and tapped for the 336 as well as tinkering with a red dot when I am not in a rush to hunt with it.

Andy S.

Wes Parrish said:
I'd bet "complete culprit" was the case, since you already know there was "play" in your speedbead mount.
Agree Wes. Unfortunately for me, I never thoroughly inspected the speedbead base until I had already sent the FFIII sight back, and it was then that I really examined the speedbead and determined it had a tiny bit of play in it, but that tiny bit equates to inches on a sight at 40 yards. I was skeptical of the speedbead mount to begin with, but I loved how low profile it was and that drove me to go with it, plus I read numerous others reviews online who liked it on their setups. Needless to say, I did not love it enough to have a constantly moving red dot though. Another thing that did not help with my hastily decision to send the FFIII back was the fact a Burris rep on another forum erroneously told me the sight was made in China. This may sound snobbish, but I did not then and still do not want ANYTHING on my hunting setups from China, especially something as important as my sight, thus I was glad to return it at the time. Knowing what I know now coupled with the fact that the FFIII is made in the Phillipines and not China like their rep originally told me, I would for sure give a FFIII another try with a solid base. I have read too many reviews of other hunters in numerous states who really like them, so I kind of thought all along that my experience was unique in all aspects.

REN

yeah i cant give a full review as i have not been through a season with it but as of now mine mounted on a picatinnay rail has been sold and held true during the sight in process off of a lead sled.

we will see how it holds up for a season though as i can be pretty hard on my gun in the month of april. I had the Mueller Quick Shot and it made it through 3 seasons so i hope this one does as well.

Latest posts