Burr in chamber

Safari Hunt

Bought a new rifle and the brass has a semi-circular scratch in the middle. Tried empty brass with and without the magazine. Marked with a Sharpie and cycled through the chamber and still saw scratches. I found a sackful of things on Youtube. I'm careful about altering the chamber but want to get rid of the burr.
IMG_7087.JPG

DaveB

You sure this is not a foreign object like a piece of cleaning rod or a piece of sand? This is where a bore scope would be awful handy.

Don't know how to correct this..maybe bore paste?

I am thinking I would take this to a gunsmith who has a scope and tools and experience.

Safari Hunt

Nothing, clean as a whistle. Went to a gunsmith and he said it was from a burr in the removable magazine. Thought later that the scratch would be lengthways instead of around the cartridge. Ran three empties through the chamber and all three had the scratch in a different place. Got some fine sandpaper and a cleaning brush that should do the trick. I can measure the mark and only hit the chamber in that area.

Safari Hunt

Scotchbrite didn't do the trick. Wrapped some double edge tape around an undersize brass brush and some 150 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Ran it in the chamber on the drill for a few seconds. Cleaned the chamber. Cartridges came out clean with no new scratches.

Latest posts