Bambi Buster

Bambi Buster

Attachments

• Books.jpg
    Books.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 587
P

poorhunter

My problem is that I can't get my 13 year old twins to stop reading to do their chores!

Although considering the quality literature they have under their belts, it's a very very good problem to have. They are not at all intimidated at picking up a 5-600 or 1000 page book and reading it to the end.

Good time Charlie

Good time Charlie

I love a good book,but I have to get interested wjth in the first 20 pages
Nothing like a good book

Wildcat

Wildcat

Supporter
How much and what kind of reading is taught in schools today???

Spurhunter

Spurhunter

Supporter
Amen. Ask most adults when they read their last book they'll say high school. But, they can tell you anything you want to know about movie stars, tv shows, and the popular musicians.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Crow Terminator

Crow Terminator

I do not fall into the "most adults" category for sure. I bought 3 books just this week, got 150 ebooks on a CD to read too. My trouble is having too many books.

duckduck84

duckduck84

Growing up my Mom would never say no to buying a book for me. I read constantly and still do. I actually have a very old copy of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein that my 8th grade English teacher gave me because I loved classic literature.

Proud to say all my nieces and nephews love to read as well.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Pic IN the Casa

Pic IN the Casa

Wildcat":2jfzomhr said:

Yep. When the left took Orwell off the school reading lists they knew what they were doung.

E

eddie c

My daughter is a book worm. Dad built her a book shelf 6foot long by 7foot tall. She told him how much space she wanted between shelves, I don't remember how many shelves. She has the books stacked 2deep on each. Plus 2 foot lockers full.
When my daughter was teaching, she had a mini library set up in her room of personal paperbacks. She allowed any student to "check" one out on the honor system. Several used it.

P

pass-thru

Wildcat":2ppivsai said:

This isn't a schools problem, this is completely a problem that starts in the home. How many kids have a play station before they even start kindergarten?

FLTENNHUNTER1

FLTENNHUNTER1

I never really have liked reading books it puts me to sleep.

I have read many technical manuals over the years as a technician.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildcat

Wildcat

Supporter
pass-thru":7e414c43 said:
Wildcat":7e414c43 said:

This isn't a schools problem, this is completely a problem that starts in the home. How many kids have a play station before they even start kindergarten?

Yes and no. When I was in school we had to read a lot of books then do reports on them, year after year. At Christmas we were talking about the difference on some of this in schools today and yesterday and I found out from my neices daughter that she was NEVER required to read any book except her textbooks. So here the school do NOT require their students to read any books except their textbooks.

griz01

griz01

If Schools would teach kids to read it would poses a threat to the system. Reading and understanding what you read allows you to have the ability to find out truthful information on you own and not just be able to accept whatever BS they spew out.

Bambi Buster

Bambi Buster

pass-thru":rpq1fwn5 said:
Wildcat":rpq1fwn5 said:

^^^^^This^^^^^^
An appreciation of reading for its own sake, cultivated early in the home, will generally thrive independently of school requirements. That said, I do believe that reading should be emphasized in school as well.

Wildcat

Wildcat

Supporter
Bambi Buster":448e71gi said:
pass-thru":448e71gi said:
Wildcat":448e71gi said:

^^^^^This^^^^^^
An appreciation of reading for its own sake, cultivated early in the home, will generally thrive independently of school requirements. That said, I do believe that reading should be emphasized in school as well.

I've never said it wasn't. My mother taught me to read and love my books. But today it's not really required in schools so all those who "MIGHT" learn to love the books will not unless they live in a home that helps with that. When North Vietnam took over South Vietnam then BANNED the reading of any books except the textbooks THEY gave out.

B

bowhunterfanatic

As a younger person, IMO part of the problem with reading in school is the content they are trying to get kids to read. Maybe things have changed, but the books I was forced to read from 6th grade forward were mostly "classics". Other than To Kill a Mockingbird I wouldn't give you a nickel for any of them. Kids would be much more likely to read if they were given more modern options, IMO. There are plenty of fantastic fiction books still being written today that many kids would enjoy reading, but aren't typically given the option because they aren't a "classic".

TheAirMan

TheAirMan

Teaching kids to read is one thing. Forcing them to read books they have no interest at all in reading is something else. I like to read. I just finished The Lord of the Rings for the 7th or 8th time I guess. I can say one thing for sure, being forced to read Great Expectaions, Romeo and Juliet, and Macbeth in high school sure didn’t contribute to me wanting to read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P

pass-thru

bowhunterfanatic":27z499oq said:
As a younger person, IMO part of the problem with reading in school is the content they are trying to get kids to read. Maybe things have changed, but the books I was forced to read from 6th grade forward were mostly "classics". Other than To Kill a Mockingbird I wouldn't give you a nickel for any of them. Kids would be much more likely to read if they were given more modern options, IMO. There are plenty of fantastic fiction books still being written today that many kids would enjoy reading, but aren't typically given the option because they aren't a "classic".

Classics are classics for a reason, and they should be read. Generally they are books that expose the reader to an unfamiliar but valid viewpoint, or otherwise stimulate the mind and keep you thinking about it long after the book is done. In other words not reading just for the sake of entertainment. I look back at my high school reading lists and I have no complaints. Didn't always enjoy reading the at the time but they served their purpose.

B

bowhunterfanatic

pass-thru":3cgjnf2u said:
bowhunterfanatic":3cgjnf2u said:

Classics are classics for a reason, and they should be read. Generally they are books that expose the reader to an unfamiliar but valid viewpoint, or otherwise stimulate the mind and keep you thinking about it long after the book is done. In other words not reading just for the sake of entertainment. I look back at my high school reading lists and I have no complaints. Didn't always enjoy reading the at the time but they served their purpose.

I respectfully disagree. Many kids do exactly what I did after one or two goes with those books. They just don't read them. There are many new fictional books that require more than just a quick basic read to fully grasp and understand them. Reading should be enjoyable, not feel like a chore, if your end goal is to promote more reading. If you want to make a point or maybe try to expose them to a different viewpoint, let them read some non fiction work.