Building a thicket for deer habitat

Mr. Hawk

I have a couple hundred acres of mostly hardwoods and cedars. The property is thick but no real impenetrable thickets. Would it be worthwhile from a habitat management perspective to have a logger make two 10 acre clearcuts and let them grow into thickets? And would it be difficult to get a logger to do this?

cbhunter

Sounds like a great plan. As long as it is marketable timber, you probably wouldn't have trouble getting someone to do it. I know around here where I live, 10 acres is about the minimum they will fool with.

Os2 Outdoors

I would consider a little bigger areas myself. South to south east facing ridges as well.

I actually have a client that I'm supposed to do this for sometime in the future. We're going to do at least two 15 acre clear cuts.

You might also consider thinning the cedar on the whole place. If there's very much it's low value game species tree an puts down shade year round to choke out browse species.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hollar Hunter

With 200 acres I would look into maybe doing one bigger cut 16- 17 acres towards the center of the property as a sanctuary and a couple small 2 acre ish cuts for food plots and some thicket around them for browse. You can strategically place these cuts in places best suited for your property/terrain to give you undetected access into the natural prime spots. Not sure how long you've had the land but think it all through many times before you decide where to cut and yes this will make a positive difference in many ways.

Andy S.

I'll be the outcast, I'd take several smaller clear cuts (3-5 acres in size) over a larger single clear cut any day of the week. Good luck with your decision, as you will be rewarded by creating any amount of cover, regardless of the approach you take.

MickThompson

Andy S.":1nn9k8xa said:
I'll be the outcast, I'd take several smaller clear cuts (3-5 acres in size) over a larger single clear cut any day of the week. Good luck with your decision, as you will be rewarded by creating any amount of cover, regardless of the approach you take.

I'm with you. 10 acres max for me but you'd also have to find someone to cut it the way you want it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GRIT

I did this on my property on the left side about 12 years ago it's about 70 yards wide and around 350 to 400 yards long i did this next to a patch of hard woods with a lot of oak trees in there then i did the same thing on the right side It has worked great and holds some decent bucks every year .
One more thing if you can get some honeysuckles started next to the thicket they will love it.

rem270

I think you have the right idea. I'd really think it out and be certain where you want them at first. 2 10 acres would be great. Heck I'd even consider doing 3 or 4 five acre clear cuts as well. The right area is the key no matter how much you clear.

landman

Swampster":mssw7lxb said:
Everything makes me want to buy more land except my burning desire to retire!

You can buy land in a Self-Directed IRA once you feel you can't hunt anymore you can sell it for retirement funds.

DA you just need to place your order...... :poke:

Swampster

Yeah, I've briefly considered the IRA thing. I just can't get past putting several hundred thousand into something that illiquid, and it would distort my planned asset allocation big time. With over 150 acres, my net worth is already heavy on rural real estate.