Buckshot, legal or not?

Iglow

I was looking at some Twra stuff and it appears that buckshot wasn't listed at all as to what was and wasn't legal. If it is now legal, what took so long and if it isn't how can it be that a 25 auto is legal??? Can somebody clarify this???

Carlos

Buckshot is not legal for deer hunting in TN.

I can't answer the other questions.

timberjack86

One of the reasons I've started hunting in Georgia. I worked up an awesome buckshot load in the backyard this summer. I've taken 2 deer so far with it in Georgia. They never knew what hit them.

mike243

I think its more of a safety issue vs a shot size, been a lot more folks shot with it than rifles, But deer drives and dogs come to mind when I think of buck shot problems. Years ago I watched a show that showed some great patterns out at 100y, looked impressive to my teenage eye's

Carlos

You won't find this from TWRA but….. buckshot is in fact legal in one county that I know of in Tennessee for deer hunting. Counties can circumvent the TWRA through Private Acts, Cumberland County did just that.
I've heard that before about Cumberland county. I also heard that the private act had expired.

Did you hear anything on that? Or was the private act put in place recently?

PickettSFHunter

I've heard that before about Cumberland county. I also heard that the private act had expired.

Did you hear anything on that? Or was the private act put in place recently?
CTAS shows it as passed in 1968 with no historical notes to indicate an amendment or expiration. I'm not an attorney but am used to a historical notes section that would indicate if this was amended or not in effect. CTAS seems to do a good job of updating. Now, this is not legal advice ok 😂

scn

CTAS shows it as passed in 1968 with no historical notes to indicate an amendment or expiration. I'm not an attorney but am used to a historical notes section that would indicate if this was amended or not in effect. CTAS seems to do a good job of updating. Now, this is not legal advice ok 😂
There was one other county on the list as well. I am pretty sure those private acts were revoked several years ago, but, not 100% sure.

There are several reasons the legislature and agency have kept buckshot illegal in TN.

scn

Why is it's illegal in Tn and legal in many others?
Buckshot in TN has always been linked with illegal deer dogging. The legislature made it illegal many years ago to address those issues.

There are also safety issues. As it spreads out, you have multiple .32 cal projectiles that would potentially be lethal out to 100+ yds. The spread beyond the aiming point is a concern. There has always been the notion that because it spreads and doesn't require a precise aiming point like a rifle, that the foolishness of "brush shots" comes into play.

I would be very surprised to see TWRA open to any change on those regs.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
I used to read on Tn Deer it was because of wounded deer. Shot my 1st deer with Buckshot in La. Legal there because the swamps are so thick . I know plenty of deer survive Buckshot and plenty you better have a good dog to track. Cataulla Curs take down and finish off wounded Deer there . Not sure about current laws but mid 80s it was. Not a fan.
If it is not listed as Legal Means of take its not legal. A knife is not legal.A club is not legal.
https://www.eregulations.com/tennessee/hunting/manner-means/

Last edited:

timberjack86

Buckshot in TN has always been linked with illegal deer dogging. The legislature made it illegal many years ago to address those issues.

There are also safety issues. As it spreads out, you have multiple .32 cal projectiles that would potentially be lethal out to 100+ yds. The spread beyond the aiming point is a concern. There has always been the notion that because it spreads and doesn't require a precise aiming point like a rifle, that the foolishness of "brush shots" comes into play.

I would be very surprised to see TWRA open to any change on those regs.
While I don't necessarily agree I appreciate your response.