Buckshot, legal or not?

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Plenty of deer wounded by arrows, also plenty of turkey wounded by tss. We as hunters should know our limitations before we squeeze the release or pull the trigger.
Plenty of inexperienced and unethical hunters out there. I agree we should know . A lot of beginning hunters with no experience and no one to teach them. Also way to many unethical hunters that just point and shoot and hope for the best..

timberjack86

Plenty of inexperienced and unethical hunters out there. I agree we should know . A lot of beginning hunters with no experience and no one to teach them. Also way to many unethical hunters that just point and shoot and hope for the best..
Yep happens in turkey hunting all the time. Still not enough reason to ban buckshot. IMO

timberjack86

Oh, all that happened back in the early 1960's. We were using paper shotshells back then, too. 2 3/4 inch with 9 double O buckshot pellets.
My Uncle Frank was the real backwoodsman. He never saw that guy before the shot, but lost his license anyway. So, he crossed the Delaware River and began legally hunting in Pennsylvania. He often took me with him.
Dad was a casual hunter but a dedicated fisherman.
Anyway, I think OO buck is fine for deer, but only within its limitations. I would not use it beyond 30 yards.

BTW Timberjack, you look a lot like the insurance claims adjuster that came to assess the storm damage to my barn. He said he lived in Polk Co. I don't remember his name.
That's funny, I guess I have a twin. I'm a welder for a company outta Chattanooga.

squirrel_hunter

I like using buckshot. I live in Arkansas we can use it. I have killed several deer and coyotes with it. I use a Remington SP 10ga turkey gun. With com n choke buckshot choke. And federal 10 ga #1 or #4 buckshot.

Carlos

I believe buckshot used to be legal in Weakly co.
It likely was years ago. There was some sort of private act in place that made it legal here in Cumberland county, until sometime in the late 90's.
I was advised that the private act expired and it was no longer legal for deer.

Carlos

I was visiting legislature to show support for a snaring regulation change several years ago. The Wildlife committee passed a ruling, that session, that prohibits the use of buckshot and overrides private acts statewide. I suspect that it passed the full legislature but didn't follow up. I scolded the TWF rep who was with us for not making the sportsmen of TN aware of the changes.
This may explain part of why it's still not allowed for deer.
Seems like the name should be changed from buckshot to something else.... Hogshot maybe, or Boarshot?

rukiddin

I've never been deer hunting and got a shot at a deer and thought to myself that I wished I had some buckshot instead of my .270 or muzzleloader.
Pack of deer hounds rolling on a big slick head in a cutover full of 15 year old pines with your farthest shot being about 20 yards and you'll wish you had it😂😂😂

SES

Pack of deer hounds rolling on a big slick head in a cutover full of 15 year old pines with your farthest shot being about 20 yards and you'll wish you had it😂😂😂
If I was in a thicket and saw a bunch of dogs chasing a deer, the dogs would be the first to get it.

knightrider

You cant legislate out stupidity!!! Those arguments of "bad or inexperienced hunters" hold no grounds its foolish at best what we the people have let the government get by with for years for sake of the masses safety!

mike243

I will trade all the opportunities to kill a deer for no life's lost due to buckshot, it can kill over 100y and not all the shot will hit what your aiming at, even if legal I wouldn't choose this as a good weapon for deer in my area, ymmv

348Winchester

You cant legislate out stupidity!!! Those arguments of "bad or inexperienced hunters" hold no grounds its foolish at best what we the people have let the government get by with for years for sake of the masses safety!
Yes! The safety cult is horrible. When combined with the tyranny of Govcorp it becomes insufferable.

Latest posts