SUNP0016-1_zpsdd52cdbb.jpg
[/img]

SUNP0014_zpsbee6ec92.jpg
[/img]

SUNP0005_zpsfcefffa7.jpg

They are still carrying their antlers as of this past week. :confused:

Hunter 257W

stik said:
why the sad face? that's a sign of a healthy herd.

Sad because of all the great sheds others are finding for the contest. Yeah, you are absolutely right that it's better to have healthy deer than finding sheds. :grin:

tasaman

I saw 3 bucks last week that had antlers still. Nothing big. Just two dinks and a small 8pt. I would imagine they are hitting the ground this week though.

BSK

Normally, I pick up all my cameras at the end of January. But this year I let them all run until this last weekend (03/24/13). Interestingly, I did not get a picture of a buck with even one shed antler until January 28th. And as of March 23rd, all but one of the 2 1/2+ bucks I'm getting pictures of still have their antlers, while almost all of the yearlings lost theirs (most between mid-February and early March).

TheLBLman

BSK said:
And as of March 23rd, all but one of the 2 1/2+ bucks I'm getting pictures of still have their antlers . . . .
This is fantastic and bodes well for larger than average antlers this Fall?

I've noticed similar, in that the yearlings seem to be shedding before the older bucks. More interesting, most of the sheds I've found this year were last years' sheds, indicating that most bucks in my area must have shed their antlers in late March or later (in Spring 2012). My take is that antlers shed in late March to April are more "protecteded" from the sun and being seen, and can still be in pretty good shape if you find them nearly a year later (Feb of the next year).

BlackBelt

Same in Shelby County. I got a 10 point and an 8 point on one of my trailcams this past week.
I thought it was odd they still have their antlers.

BSK

BlackBelt said:
Same in Shelby County. I got a 10 point and an 8 point on one of my trailcams this past week.
I thought it was odd they still have their antlers.

Not odd, just a sign of a deer herd in great shape. The healthier the bucks are, the longer they hold their antlers (in the Southeast).

lpo1981

BSK said:
lpo1981 said:
My bucks have finally all shed there horns in the last week..

That's interesting lpo1981.

Let me rephrase that I didn't have a single buck on trail camera that had any head gear left, not saying they all dropped... This is the 1st time I've pulled cameras an had bucks who have dropped..

BSK

Gotcha. I suspect all the older bucks in my area will drop in the next couple of weeks. I usually see scraping activity associated with new antler growth during the first two weeks of April.

Although I was shocked by the fact the yearling bucks in my area dropped antlers much earlier than the older bucks. I honestly expected just the opposite.

AT Hiker

lpo1981 said:
BSK said:
lpo1981 said:

Let me rephrase that I didn't have a single buck on trail camera that had any head gear left, not saying they all dropped... This is the 1st time I've pulled cameras an had bucks who have dropped..

In Dickson Co? We are in the north/western portion and most of our deer shed early March. In Mont Co they hold on till April. This is specific to our hunting grounds of course.

BSK

AT Hiker said:
lpo1981 said:
BSK said:
lpo1981 said:

In Dickson Co? We are in the north/western portion and most of our deer shed early March. In Mont Co they hold on till April. This is specific to our hunting grounds of course.

I suspect the early march ant;ler shedding in Dickson County may be more of a herd health issue than a genetic issue. I've yet to see a deer herd anywhere in the Southeast that won't hold their antlers until just before the new antlers begin to grow IF herd health is maximized.

Latest posts