Bucks missing hair on their back

Akurn

Well it seems every hunting show will have several bucks that appear to be missing a patch of hair on their backs. I've only seen it 1 or 2 times personally. I was just curious as to why this might be and why there are so many on tv that are like this

DaveB

Pretend you are the deer. Tilt your head back. In just about every instance I've seen, the missing hair coincides with where the antlers would be if the deer raised his head.

JCDEERMAN

The buck I killed last year was bare skin in about an 8" diameter right at the top of his back right above the front shoulder blades. The taxidermist told me it was from them scratching ticks off their back. Laying on their back and rolling around. He said mine had ticks all over right there, as well as many other ones he sees.

Made sense to me, as that's just about the only spot they can't reach. That's the first one I killed with a spot like that and I assumed it was from fighting and getting his butt whipped. He had scars all over him. I guess it could be one of many reasons

knightrider

the ones on tv are where they have had them in the cage waiting to turn em loose to be shot!! lol its a mixture of tick scratching,fighting,and crawling under fences

Nealmeally

Fences. A lot of bigger bodied deer in the midwest will have the same thing on their lower chest also.. That's from riding fences over/down then jumping them.

JW1

My son killed his first deer last season and I swear that sucker had bald spots all over him. Had one on his back that looked like you took a razor and made a swipe about 8" long.

Latest posts