BSK buck shedding question

TheLBLman

Over the past couple years, where I've found most my sheds has been in honeysuckle in February and into early March, even though I believe most bucks are shedding after early March.

What I think is happening is that deer are spending much of their time in February/early March feeding and/or hanging out on/in honeysuckle. As most plant life reaches the most dormant stage for the year, ground visibility peaks in February. At the same time, deer tend to eat all the honeysuckle near the ground, making sheds around honeysuckle visible for a few weeks, then they become invisible for the next 10 or 11 months. Actually think many are shed while feeding on honeysuckle in late March, they fall to the ground, and just can't be seen until about February of the next year.

Closely check any patches of honeysuckle, particularly smaller patches around the edges of woods. The deer seem to go out of their way to feed on it, and it often very subtly "tugs" or "hangs" their antlers just enough to cause them to shed in the honeysuckle. You will sometimes find an antler hanging in the honeysuckle 2 to 4 feet above the ground.

AT Hiker

In the mountain West you still dont seem to find a match, it seems like whatever side you find first (left or right) that is the side you will find the majority of.

Probably has something to do with terrain or something silly like that, but for Southern whitetail...I have found multiple pairs...one buck even carried one side for over a week before he shed. I dont have a picture to prove it, other than both sheds and they were found in the same field behind my house a week apart, which I checked every day. I guess a squirrel could have drug it in, but I think it is unlikely and no teeth marks either.

Latest posts