Brush

jbow

I have few logging trails on a new lease that are really grown up. No big trees just brush; I can drive my 4 wheeler through it but I can�t get a bush hog back there. Will round up straight on the brush kill it off? I know there are different kinds of Round up. I saw one that was for brush only. Should I try to chop it back then spray it or, run it down with the 4 wheeler and spray it or just spray over the top? I want to get this trail back. What should I use? How should I go about it?

Boll Weevil

For grassy or herbacous that's probably fine. If it's woody vegetation though, might take something a little more stout like Garlon.

BlountArrow

I would not use Glyphosate (roundup) to try to kill saplings and brush - no. I hear of people recommending the use of 2,4-D and I know that is what my local Co-op reocmmends. Glyphosate would burn the foliage off/back, might even kill some in some cases but I wouldn't count on it.

treefarmer

What I used on a mile or more of trails and several meadows was to cut the brush down using a clearing saw (saw blade on a heavy duty weed trimmer)and the following late-spring use roundup on the newly sprouting brush. This not only cleared the trail immediately but it killed the brush. Now I go down the trails every couple of years in my 4-wheeler and spray any new brush with a pump-up sprayer with roundup.

Boll Weevil

treefarmer said:
What I used on a mile or more of trails and several meadows was to cut the brush down using a clearing saw
Treefarmer,

Just got one a couple of months ago...HOLY TOLEDO!! I'm not sure what kind you use but even after doing lots of research, reviewing videos, and talking to the professionals before purchase this thing totally exceeded my expectations.

We nicknamed it "The Zinger." All you gotta do is touch a sapling up to about 4" and "ZIIINNNGG." Tree down...he gone. Crazy effective/efficient.

Hunter 257W

About 30 years ago I mixed Super Brush Killer with pure deisel fuel and burnt motor oil and killed a fence row stone dead for probably 15 years. The ground was greasy and NOTHING grew. Now I don't pretend that was good for the earth as a whole but it worked.

Now I would and do use the Super Brush Killer in water for all woody type plants. It works.