Browning Spec Ops HP5

TheLBLman

TheLBLman,

The HP5 has timelapse plus the camera will also trigger on movement at the same time. Thought you would want to know.
Yes, it's a great feature.
However, I'm near certain the HP4 also has this feature, as does the Dark Ops.

The issue I don't like about Browning's timelapse feature (unless this is something new) is that it's limited to a maximum time horizon of 4 hours in the mornings & 4 hours in the evenings. Granted, this is commonly more than enough time, but I often like the feature running all day, not just early & late.

For several years though, I've been running the Dark Ops cams set in timelapse plus (which triggers 24/7 just like any other trail cam) while also taking timelapse pics at specified intervals. This setting need not be limited to large fields and food plots, as I often use in woods, or anywhere you could see a deer beyond the cam's triggering range.

BSK

TheLBLman,

From the HP5 Manual:

Available timelapse picture frequencies: 5, 10, 20, 30 seconds, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30, 60 minutes.

Timelapse periods: Either all day (and still triggers on motion at night), or 1, 2, 3 or 4 hour periods after sunrise and before sunset.

TheLBLman

TheLBLman,

From the HP5 Manual:
. . . . .
Timelapse periods: Either all day (and still triggers on motion at night), or 1, 2, 3 or 4 hour periods after sunrise and before sunset.
BSK, these Timelapse Plus features have been available in the Dark Ops (and I believe the HP4) for at least a few years. This is the one reason I have felt less need for video mode, but also, since the Brownings can be programmed to take so many more pics per triggering event than most other brands.

I had overlooked the "all day" feature, but best I can tell, there may be nothing different with the HP5's Timelapse Plus features over the Dark Ops and HP4.

I do know some of the lower-cost Browning cams do not have this feature.

BSK

The top-of-the-line Dark Ops does not have the video resolution that the Spec Ops HP5 has. Nor does it have the flash range. In addition, the internal viewing screen is smaller.

TheLBLman

The top-of-the-line Dark Ops does not have the video resolution that the Spec Ops HP5 has. Nor does it have the flash range. In addition, the internal viewing screen is smaller.

True, but . . . . .

For those not running video, this becomes less an issue.

I don't yet have the Spec Ops HP5 but do have last year's version the HP4.
IMO, for food plots & fields, the HP4/HP5 is superior (mainly due to extended flash range).

But I believe I'll continue to prefer the Dark Ops for use over scrapes,
in large part because the Dark Ops is smaller in size, less likely to be seen.
I might feel differently if mostly using video, but up close, the Dark Ops seems more than adequate, even when in video mode. The Dark Ops is also a little less expensive to purchase, and uses 6 AA's instead of the 8 AA's of the Spec Ops HP5/4 models.

With all the above mentioned, you can program them to take a pic, followed by a video clip, if you like. It doesn't have to be just an either/or option whether to run still pics or video, as you can do both near simultaneously.

Actually, in looking at the new 2022 Dark Ops Pro DCL,
it appears to overall compare very close to the new 2022 Spec Ops Elite HP5,
and the key difference may be the smaller "footprint".

Get both, and you can have the best of each.

BSK

I am pretty excited about this camera. For whatever reason I have never tried video until last year on a cheap camera i set out on a scrape. It is very addictive and I can't wait to get this camera on aa scrape this fall.
You're going to love it. I've learned more new things about deer behavior in the two years I've been running video than in the 26 previous years of running still image cameras.

BSK

BSK,
What size sd card do you use in this camera and do you know what the card size capacity is?
Capacity is 512 GB. Last year I was using 64 GB SanDisk cards with 100m/s transfer rate. This year I'm upgrading to SanDisk 128 GB cards with 120m/s transfer. You can get the 128 GB cards on Amazon for about $18/each. A 128 GB card will hold about 2,500 10-second videos.

BSK

If I have one complaint about the newer Browning cams it's that they will trigger on a sunny, windy day, especially back in the woods where sunlight dapples the ground. On a windy, sunny day, with all those patches of sunlight moving around on the forest floor, it will trigger the camera. This problem will be compounded even more if the camera is strapped to a small-diameter tree that sways in the wind. Twice in this situation I had a 32 GB card get filled over a 2-week span. But that was also back when I was recording 20-second videos, which are 100 BM each. Using a 32 GB card, they will hold just shy of 320 20-second videos. Have a couple of windy, sunny days in a row and you may get 200-300 videos of nothing.

TheLBLman

As an alternative to 10-second video clips, these Browning cams can be programed to take 8 normal still pics spaced 1-second apart per triggering event.

This is not as "fluid" as a video clip, but the images can be higher resolution, and I find it much faster to review 8 stills vs a 10-second video clip.

I've been doing this in lieu of 10-second video clips for years.

Since "recovery" between triggering events is faster on 8 stills vs a 10-second video clip,
you may be able to get more 8-pic runs inside a couple minutes time than you'll get 10-second video clips. And still quicker to review.

TheLBLman

On a windy, sunny day, with all those patches of sunlight moving around on the forest floor, it will trigger the camera. This problem will be compounded even more if the camera is strapped to a small-diameter tree that sways in the wind.
Certainly sounds like this Browning model has better detection, but this problem happens with all cams.

Pine trees are the worst, as regardless of size, they sway more than oaks.

Capacity is 512 GB. Last year I was using 64 GB SanDisk cards with 100m/s transfer rate. This year I'm upgrading to SanDisk 128 GB cards with 120m/s transfer. You can get the 128 GB cards on Amazon for about $18/each. A 128 GB card will hold about 2,500 10-second videos.
Thanks for the heads up on the amazon cards.

Latest posts