broken fiberoptic on sight pin

huntncoach

Noticed the fiber optic on my 30 yard pin has pulled away from the pin. Don't have many shot opportunities at that distance, but should I replace the whole pin or could I just leave it as is? Always something to fix or replace, right!

DRSJ35

If you can use it with no problems maybe.I like probably just about everybody that hunts.Run the scenario of That giant That i couldn't get.Cause i took a shortcut on something.That's playing out in my head right now.Should i buy a rifled shotgun for slugs.or should i just use the smooth bore i already have and save money.

Jcalder

Fiber optic will bend when heated. But too much heat and it'll melt. I replaced the sight on my shotgun and it took a few tries to get it right. Had to make a horseshoe about 1/2 inch or less span. Thinking I ended up boiling water and putting the fiber optic in the water. A heat gun works too as well as a hair dryer. A lighter goes too quick on the heat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahuntin1

I bought a pack of replacement fiber optics last year. You need to figure out what thickness then it'll be easy. It took a few seconds to do mine.

DMD

Easy to replace fiber optic. You can order it on Ebay, it's usually much better quality than what comes on sight - brighter. Once you install, heat the end a little bit and "mash" it so it won't pop out of your pin, you're good to go.

huntncoach

Tennessee Lead":18mydj1i said:
Please update when you fix it
I just bought a sight off eBay that has this issue.

Took less than 5 minutes! Removed the old fiber optic from the pin (about like monofilament). Then used a lighter to form a bead on the end of a replacement strand (don't get the flame too close) and inserted the strand into to the pin and pulled to the bead to seal it in. Next, I inserted the opposite end into the to hole on the other end of the pin and pulled it through and clipped it off. Then heated the clipped end and pulled the strand back in and sealed it. It looks really good and makes me now want to replace the other two.

Tennessee Lead

huntncoach":1fphlzhx said:
Tennessee Lead":1fphlzhx said:
Please update when you fix it
I just bought a sight off eBay that has this issue.

Took less than 5 minutes! Removed the old fiber optic from the pin (about like monofilament). Then used a lighter to form a bead on the end of a replacement strand (don't get the flame too close) and inserted the strand into to the pin and pulled to the bead to seal it in. Next, I inserted the opposite end into the to hole on the other end of the pin and pulled it through and clipped it off. Then heated the clipped end and pulled the strand back in and sealed it. It looks really good and makes me now want to replace the other two.
That's awesome! I'm hoping mine is in the mailbox tomorrow and I'm able to see what I can do to fix it
Thanks for letting me know!

Latest posts