Broadhead Question

Redfred16

Just a quick question as I get more and more primed for bow season to start.

When I moved down to TN last fall, I realized I moved down with only 1 broadhead. I was using NAP Spitfire 125gr, for the past few years. I could not find my broad heads anywhere, not only that I was having a hard time finding 125gr broadheads. I ended up picking up a pack of 2 blade Rage 125gr, the only 125gr I could find.

Is there a reason there are so many 100gr broadheads for sale down here? Everyone I know that bow hunts in Wisconsin uses 125gr, the brand may change but the wieght is the same.

TNDeerGuy

Our does don't average 130lbs field dressed, and our bucks don't average well over 200lbs either. Arrows up there probably don't get under 400gr, like many use down here, and if I were a betting man I would say the average arrow weight is probably pushing 500gr�that extra weight is needed to get through the larger mass of ya'lls deer up there.

My first visit up there this past summmer, I saw does that would easily match the majority of our bucks down here. I guess if all I had to eat was plentiful beans and corn constantly my behind would be the size of a barn as well...LOL.

Redfred16

I kind of thought something like that but just wanted some confirmation. I sent pictures of the doe I got this fall and my hunting buddies in WI thought I shot a yearling, and she was the biggest doe of the group. But she tastes really good, a sweeter venison I think, so I ain't complaining.

I think I'll drop down to 100gr. I'll justhave to make sure my sight doesn't need too much adjustment with the lighter arrow.

fasteddie

I would rather shoot 100gr also because it helps making spine choice on your arrows easier. Most spine charts are built assuming 100gr tips. But like TNDeerGuy said 100gr works just fine for our skinny little deer.
Redfred16 said:
I kind of thought something like that but just wanted some confirmation. I sent pictures of the doe I got this fall and my hunting buddies in WI thought I shot a yearling, and she was the biggest doe of the group. But she tastes really good, a sweeter venison I think, so I ain't complaining.

I think I'll drop down to 100gr. I'll justhave to make sure my sight doesn't need too much adjustment with the lighter arrow.

Hoss

There are plenty of 125 grain heads. Just look around and don't wait til the last minute (not saying you did). Once things get picked over you kinda have to go with what's left. If you have enjoyed success with 125 grain heads then I would experiment with 100 grain heads (there are some really good 100 grain heads) but don't give up on the 125s.

P.S.
I shoot 125 grain Thunderheads and I have had good luck with them. I shoot 125 grain field points as well. I don't feel I am in any way handicapped by this equipment choice.

Redfred16

No it was last minute, but it's not something that needed alot of running around to find in WI. I am pretty sure I could have walked into the local hardware store and picked up a 3 pack of Spitfires in 125gr.

I am going to give 100gr a shot(no pun intended) after the 125's I bought are broke or lost. I have the 2 blade Rage that look interesting, but normally prefer 3 blade.

I just need to test them on my Cabelas carbon arrows.

Redfred16

You would be suprised at many places back in WI it is to get hunting stuff in WI. I literally could get arrows cut and my bow tuned at the local hardware store.

I had Walmart within 10 minutes of my house and the hunting section was as big as all the sporting goods of the one in Hendersonville. I had a Gander Mountain 20 minutes away, a Dunhams 20 minutes, Fleet Farm(yankee Tractor Supply)25 minutes, Gander Mountain Gun World 30 min, and muy favorite Cabelas 30 minutes away. And if I wanted a Bass Pro Shop about an hour away.

Thats not even counting the local small archery specific shops with indoor ranges, Buck Rub Archery and Westtown Archery.

In all things hunting related this is the 2nd biggest thing that was different than I imagined in TN. I thought there would be alot more hunting supples to be found here. The first? How cold it feels in the morning here in TN watching the sun come up and the deer move.

deerhunter10

stik said:
deerhunter10 said:
the 3 blade rage blows all broad heads out of the water imo

over hyped and overrated imo

I can see where you can get that I thought the same thing til I actually tried them. but after seeing the hole they put in a deer first hand ill never shoot anything else. most likely

PinchPoint

Rages do make awesome cuts,That is if the ferule doesnt break (which has happened to me twice) Only rages I would shoot are Titaniums or the new rages with a steel ferule.

Hoss

RedFred, Hunting in Tennessee is different. You have some diehards (like the guys on this site), but most "deer hunters" in Tennessee will only go once or twice a season. They don't buy their gear in enough volume to keep the shops open (at least in the Nashville area). People are to distracted in Tennessee. They do too many different things. That is not a bad thing, unless you are retailer. In Tennessee you can participate in outside sports for 10 months out of the year instead of 4 or 5 like in Wisconsin. In WI during Oct-Jan hunting and ice fishing are the only game in town (or bowling and darts). In Tennessee we are still mowing the lawn well into November and start back up in February. Golf is almost a year round sport here along with fishing in a boat on the open water. Plus many other outdoor activities. So it is different. But the good news is you can do more as well. When was the last time you grilled some burgers for New Years????

stik

deerhunter10 said:
stik said:
deerhunter10 said:
the 3 blade rage blows all broad heads out of the water imo

over hyped and overrated imo

I can see where you can get that I thought the same thing til I actually tried them. but after seeing the hole they put in a deer first hand ill never shoot anything else. most likely

i have not shot them myself but have hunted with others that have. the last 3 lost deer i have been involved in looking for were hit with a rage. i am still not impressed. and wayyyyy overpriced.

Redfred16

Hoss said:
RedFred, Hunting in Tennessee is different. You have some diehards (like the guys on this site), but most "deer hunters" in Tennessee will only go once or twice a season. They don't buy their gear in enough volume to keep the shops open (at least in the Nashville area). People are to distracted in Tennessee. They do too many different things. That is not a bad thing, unless you are retailer. In Tennessee you can participate in outside sports for 10 months out of the year instead of 4 or 5 like in Wisconsin. In WI during Oct-Jan hunting and ice fishing are the only game in town (or bowling and darts). In Tennessee we are still mowing the lawn well into November and start back up in February. Golf is almost a year round sport here along with fishing in a boat on the open water. Plus many other outdoor activities. So it is different. But the good news is you can do more as well. When was the last time you grilled some burgers for New Years????

That makes sense. I wasn't ripping on TN, it's just not what I expected. Up there we here about the longer hunting seasons and bigger bag limits and assume it's a hunters dream and in those ways it is.

I do miss ice fishing already, but plan on trying cat fishing very soon.

Latest posts