Breathable Wader Recommendations

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Got any recommendations? Looking to get a pair that is durable around the seams and especially the boots, ideally obtainable for less than $300 (including sale prices). Something you can put some miles on walking in (not worried about having to fix small pin leaks in the fabric itself—that happens). Thinking about Drake; I like that they have a removable lining. Rogers' Sporting goods have some good looking ones too, but I've seen reviews complaining the boots crack awful soon.

Since the ability to wade into sloughs has single handedly made success possible this season (retrieving ducks in the weeds, wading to a shooting lane where shooting from the bank would be suboptimal), I'm anxious to upgrade to a solid pair for next season (why wait? Going to use my birthday as a catalyst for getting this). Been using my stockingfoot Cabela's fly fishing waders with Simms wading boots this season, and they've honestly worked great—except I'm concerned the unattached boots could get lost in deep muck. Plus, they're heavy, let water in (by design), and lack any insulation apart from the neoprene stocking itself. Simplicity of a bootfoot system would be nice. Everything else is bonus.

BlackEagle1

I don't know that this will help but.... every pair of drakes I have had leaked outta the box. The gators are decent but don't expect a long life, and don't buy these if you hunt standing in water.. The Rogers are made by frogg togg and seem to get decent reviews among my counter parts. My next pair will be dan's or Sitka

WilcoKen

Got any recommendations? Looking to get a pair that is durable around the seams and especially the boots, ideally obtainable for less than $300 (including sale prices). Something you can put some miles on walking in (not worried about having to fix small pin leaks in the fabric itself—that happens). Thinking about Drake; I like that they have a removable lining. Rogers' Sporting goods have some good looking ones too, but I've seen reviews complaining the boots crack awful soon.

Since the ability to wade into sloughs has single handedly made success possible this season (retrieving ducks in the weeds, wading to a shooting lane where shooting from the bank would be suboptimal), I'm anxious to upgrade to a solid pair for next season (why wait? Going to use my birthday as a catalyst for getting this). Been using my stockingfoot Cabela's fly fishing waders with Simms wading boots this season, and they've honestly worked great—except I'm concerned the unattached boots could get lost in deep muck. Plus, they're heavy, let water in (by design), and lack any insulation apart from the neoprene stocking itself. Simplicity of a bootfoot system would be nice. Everything else is bonus.
I use Frogg Togg Grand Refuge 2.0 and they are pretty good. I don't like that the hand warmers are on the outside but if you don't hunt water above waist it's not a factor. They have removable liner which is nice. Mine were 199.99.

Bgoodman30

Honestly in the that price range you might as well get some Magellans at Academy and replace them every year.

Cache

2-Step Enabled
I bought some banded breathable's last year that are by far the most comfortable waders I've ever owned. Probably the only ones I will ever buy again.
My only complaint is when getting in and out of a boat the waders hold water in the legs and dump a gallon out every time you get in.

Crosshairy

I bought some banded breathable's last year that are by far the most comfortable waders I've ever owned. Probably the only ones I will ever buy again.
My only complaint is when getting in and out of a boat the waders hold water in the legs and dump a gallon out every time you get in.
Can you clarify what you mean? Water is stuck in the folds of the fabric? Or it soaks into the material?

3 friends of mine who are avid duck hunters all converted to the Rogers breathable waders this year. They have gone on and on (and on) about how it's as comfortable as being in a sleeping bag compare to neoprene. I have been wearing the same pair of neoprene waders (Cabela's ultra mag) for going on 7 years after several patch jobs. I don't duck hunt as hard as they do - probably 8-10 trips per season, but I've still gotten WAY more than my money's worth out of that pair.

I am thinking of following in their footsteps and trying a breathable pair out next year as well. My main reason is that the breathable ones appear to be a lot more open in the top, and I'd like the option of wearing my heavy coat *inside* of the waders. There's zero chance I would ever do that with my neoprene ones unless I got incredibly skinny. My intention is to continue to store my neoprene pair well and hopefully keep them as a backup pair just in case... They have probably 6 or 7 Aquaseal patches on them and still don't leak, but sheer age says they are due to die any day now.

4scout

I bought my first pair of breathable waders on sale 2 years ago from LL Bean for about $200. On my 2nd season and still working great.. the pocket inside the waders is a little weird but I would buy them again for that price. Bought a used pair of Banded for backup just in case..

Displaced_Vol

My group has had everything except the real high end stuff like Sitka & USIA.
My advice is get what's on sale. Even the drakes and banded push $400 or more now a days, it's absurd they all leak.
I've got the cheapest pair of Neoprenes that Rogers makes and a pair of Frog Toggs they discontinued.
An older pair of Cabelas and the first breathable set from Rogers seemed to do pretty well, especially for the money, but you can't get either of them anymore.
I may give High N Dry a chance after my current pairs bite the dust.

Cache

2-Step Enabled
Can you clarify what you mean? Water is stuck in the folds of the fabric? Or it soaks into the material?

3 friends of mine who are avid duck hunters all converted to the Rogers breathable waders this year. They have gone on and on (and on) about how it's as comfortable as being in a sleeping bag compare to neoprene. I have been wearing the same pair of neoprene waders (Cabela's ultra mag) for going on 7 years after several patch jobs. I don't duck hunt as hard as they do - probably 8-10 trips per season, but I've still gotten WAY more than my money's worth out of that pair.

I am thinking of following in their footsteps and trying a breathable pair out next year as well. My main reason is that the breathable ones appear to be a lot more open in the top, and I'd like the option of wearing my heavy coat *inside* of the waders. There's zero chance I would ever do that with my neoprene ones unless I got incredibly skinny. My intention is to continue to store my neoprene pair well and hopefully keep them as a backup pair just in case... They have probably 6 or 7 Aquaseal patches on them and still don't leak, but sheer age says they are due to die any day now.
They have an extra layer of material that is connected at the knee and covers down to the boot. It's a tougher material than the rest of the wader so I assume it's for extra protection from rips and tears. However, it's only connected at the knee and has an elastic band that sits around the boot. The water sits between the main layer and the extra layer.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Had my Frogg Toggs for 3 seasons now. I'll buy another pair if something happens to these.
Chesapeake or Grand Refuge? How many hunts a season do you estimate that is?

I really like the thought of going with the Rogers/Frogg Toggs, but have read reviews complaining that the boots crack. I'd rather have to patch leaks than deal with a cracked boot. But of course it's impossible to tell if crack are due to improper storage or actual wear.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Simms or Sitka $900 plus you get made in the USA and long term warranty. I have Simms with 4 layers of gore tex and have been bone dry all season. I can't remember the last time I was completely dry in waders.

That would be amazing, but it's just not the time of life for me to make that kind of investment.
I never thought I'd own a Sitka anything but happened upon a rain jacket in Cabela's bargain cave, pre-merger. Doubt I'll get that lucky again with a pair of waders.

Basically I'm just hoping it's reasonable to think there's something out there at my price point that Aquaseal will get me through on a manageable basis.

Kevin

I have quietly watched every one of my hunting partners waders leak this year while wearing Sitka. It hurt to order them, but Ive hunted with guys that have had lacrosse, banded, frogg toggs, and drake all leak this year.

My advice, would be get frogg toggs on sale somewhere. I had a pair for about 4 years I beleive. But they had some lite seepage the last year I wore them. Just enough that if I took out the zip out liner and threw them in the dryer they were fine the next day, but it was a pain.

Grnwing

I tried the cabelas breathables and have been happy. I like the mobility and the lightweight for packing in on longer hikes and carry on language. The material has held up well over 2 seasons and 150 hunts. They aren't lined but with 2 layers underneath they have been warm enough in single digit temps. If i can get 2 years out of a pair i am happy.

JBell

Frog toggs boots are thin. Cut mine first hunt on a limb under the water... bought a pair of the drake zip ups. That tear out liner is gonna be annoying. May have to use them as uninsulated and just layer my clothing

lothar

Chesapeake or Grand Refuge? How many hunts a season do you estimate that is?

I really like the thought of going with the Rogers/Frogg Toggs, but have read reviews complaining that the boots crack. I'd rather have to patch leaks than deal with a cracked boot. But of course it's impossible to tell if crack are due to improper storage or actual wear.
I have the Grand Refuge.