Break Out Another Thousand

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
LOL every time I do anything with my boat I think about @Kirk :D

Just babbling here but I'm sure someone will solve it for me before I ever look.
Backstory for those that don't know.
1985 Bass Tracker Guide V-16
2014 Yamaha 25 hp four stroke engine.

I guess I am going on 10 years with this boat now and the first few years it did not leak a DROP.
I mean like nothing.
Then, after time, being a riveted boat, it started leaking a bit.
Nothing major and still not enough to even remove my drain plug after the trip.

Couple years ago I started taking on about an inch of water over the course of a trip.
Left the drain plug in, and leveled the boat out on the trailer in the garage and then checked to see where it was dripping.
Found two rivets that were leaking, marked them, drained the boat then covered these spots with JB Weld, waterweld.
Worked like a charm.

Fast forward to this year.
Started noticing after 5-6 hours of fishing I would have like 3-4 inches of water in the back of the boat.
Hmm, bet my drain plug is leaking.
Replaced that, no difference.

Left some of the water in the boat and can see where it is dripping but that's not where it's leaking. Where the V comes together there is a "cover" over that area and thus I can't tell where it is leaking.

Man and I were at the 1,000 acre lake Monday morning and after about 5 hours I had the "normal" 4" of water in the back end.
We left war eagle cove headed towards the ramp at my whopping 12 mph and I noticed the water rising.
Then the motor started laboring.
It quickly went from 4" to almost to the top of my battery box. :eek:

That ain't no rivet doing that.

I have never used the livewell in my boat. I cut the hose coming from the pump going to the livewell and plugged it off and I use it for dry storage.
When I got home and was putting my homemade bilge pump up I noticed the livewell had water in it.
It finally dawned on me that there must be some kind of drain or something in the livewell that is letting water come in.
As I said I have never used it for a livewell and it has probably been 6 years or more since I have even seen the bottom of it.

That is all I can come up with because there is not a hole the size of a golf ball or anything in the bottom of my boat and the amount of water I am taking on every rivet in the entire boat would have to be totally gone and I still don't think it would let that much in. LOL

Gonna give it a looksee this afternoon but figured ya'll would get a kick out of it, and as I said, probably can tell me what it is before I ever get there. :D

woodyard

There should be. One in bottom with hose to back of boat to fitting through boat transom. My AR boat just has a hole in the bottom all the way through. The other boat has one in the bottom and then another in side of the livewell for a recirculating/aerating pump.

The old jon boat we used to fish in AR with was riveted aluminum and leaked pretty good. I would just pull the plug as we were running up river to drain her out. Not recommended for yours.LOl

woodyard

You can clean out your liveweel and plug the fitting on back of boat and add water. It will leak into bottom of boat if it has a crack or hole.

i see you had a pump on a hose so may be it pumped water into the livewell instead of filling from bottom whenever boat is setting in water. If it has that it may have an overflow drain back to back of boat.

Last edited:

WTM

yeah there should be two holes in the back, one intake and one drain. @bluball told me what he used to plug the holes in the back. looks like a boat plug with a hex head to tighten it. then plug the pump hose intake.

itd be the same as you leaving out the drain plug.

Pilchard

It sounds like your livewell pickup is letting water in when on plane. It's designed to do this on most boats so that your livewell still works while under way and you don't kill your bait/fish on long runs. There is likely a leak somewhere in your livewell plumbing as has been mentioned. It might be harder to identify than you think as it's probably only happening when it's under pressure (meaning your boat is moving forward).

A couple of things you can try at home: Plug the drain in your livewell and fill it up with a garden hose. When you fill it up, inspect around the outside of the well, the plumbing and in the bilge to see if you can see water leaking from the well. If nothing, identify the drain line and plug it at the transom of the boat and then refill your livewell with the hose and see if there is water leaking around the drain plumbing. If neither of these things produce a leak, you can be almost certain it's leaking from the intake side of the plumbing. You will probably need to inspect for the leak on the intake side while on the water and moving forward to create the pressure you need to show the leak.

If you will never use the livewell, you can remove the pickup valve an plug it or replace it with a scupper.

bigquacks

Here is your man for the repair.
maxresdefault.jpg

Mtncur76

If you have plastic nuts were the in take and output for live well and bilge output comes out of the back of boat make sure they are tight. Had to take the nut off one about a month ago and chalk it and put back on

Latest posts