Food Plots Brassicas/soil nutrients?

Shanman

For those of you that know, do brassicas zap the soil nutrients for the following planting? Seems to me that it would as the plants have such mass and probably require more during the growing stage, but I'm ignorant to this fact, thus the question.

megalomaniac

Brassicas sequester soil nutrients into the bulb/ root. All those nutrients are released back into the soil for future crops once they rot/decompose. So it's a net zero for soil nutrients. The big benefit to farmers is reducing soil erosion as a cover crop in between cash crops (you lose a crap-ton of soil nutrients with erosion), aerating your soils with the deep taproot, and bring deep (12 to 18in deep) nutrients up to the surface from the subsoil that would otherwise be unavailable for the following cash crop.

Shanman

Thanks Mega for the explanation, makes sense. Deer didn't leave any in our plots last season, I honestly started looking for hog tracks, was all deer.

megalomaniac

Thanks Mega for the explanation, makes sense. Deer didn't leave any in our plots last season, I honestly started looking for hog tracks, was all deer.
What I can't believe is how variable deer usage of brassicas is... on my farms in TN, they love the tops of diakon early and the roots late. Deer don't touch turnips I planted before. I have a friend in the MS delta that the deer prefer purple top turnips over almost everything else. Here in south MS, they seem to lightly browse the tops of turnips, but don't touch the bulbs. I don't know why this is, but suspect in places where deer use is above average that there is some micronutrient in the soil sequestered in the root the deer need/ desire in that particular locale. Regardless, it's still good for your soil to include them in a blend even if the deer don't touch them. Just be careful using the ones not killed by a hard freeze allowing them to bolt/ seed the following spring. Then they become a weed in your summer crop.

Latest posts