Brass quality

DaveB

When I began reloading I had a 30/06, a 243, and a 22-250 followed quite soon by a 300 winMag.

I loaded up 50 for my 06 (all the brass I bought) and right away realized I needed more brass. Since this was 1985 or so, I wandered on down to Turner's and after 20 seconds or so picked up ten bags of 50 R-P brass.

Over the years not a single piece of brass has split and I load 59 grains of IMR4350 behind 150 Partitions or NBT's. No primer issues. All have been trimmed to length twice. I only load them when I have 50 or fewer loaded rounds on the shelf. Then I go through the entire case prep process.

I purchased some hornady brass for my 243 and was very unhappy. Supposedly cosmetic seconds, the flash holes were oblong and 18 were off center.

I have mostly stuck with my inventory of R-P brass ever since. In times of great need I have tried PRVI (surprise, very good results), Starline (very good results so far), Winchester (all went into garbage due to split necks, 12 out of 100). 223 brass and pistol brass is not included in these results.

I always and I mean always go through a complete case prep process with new-to-me brass. I spend a fair amount of time measuring, trimming, chamfering inside and out, and polishing before I store in color-coded-by-caliber boxes. First time through I also cut every primer pocket to the same depth.

Jcalder

When I began reloading I had a 30/06, a 243, and a 22-250 followed quite soon by a 300 winMag.

I loaded up 50 for my 06 (all the brass I bought) and right away realized I needed more brass. Since this was 1985 or so, I wandered on down to Turner's and after 20 seconds or so picked up ten bags of 50 R-P brass.

Over the years not a single piece of brass has split and I load 59 grains of IMR4350 behind 150 Partitions or NBT's. No primer issues. All have been trimmed to length twice. I only load them when I have 50 or fewer loaded rounds on the shelf. Then I go through the entire case prep process.

I purchased some hornady brass for my 243 and was very unhappy. Supposedly cosmetic seconds, the flash holes were oblong and 18 were off center.

I have mostly stuck with my inventory of R-P brass ever since. In times of great need I have tried PRVI (surprise, very good results), Starline (very good results so far), Winchester (all went into garbage due to split necks, 12 out of 100). 223 brass and pistol brass is not included in these results.

I always and I mean always go through a complete case prep process with new-to-me brass. I spend a fair amount of time measuring, trimming, chamfering inside and out, and polishing before I store in color-coded-by-caliber boxes. First time through I also cut every primer pocket to the same depth.
The brass I got from you has been great! Your prep work is top notch

KPH

You are right, any case can be dented. Sure package handling can cause issues.

Starline is the only new brass I have bought that was out of saami specs on length.

I check my new brass to make sure it matches specs in my manual. I have loaded plenty of new hornady brass that I did not resize first, those were mostly barrel break in loads or target loads. But no issues at all.

I am sure you have a lot more experience than I do, I have only been reloading since about 2009, and am self taught but always looking to learn more. I guess my question would be, if new cases are in spec, what would be gained in resizing them?
I don't know if I am more experience than you. I have had a couple of people that are about as close to experts as you want when it come to reloading, and I can call them anytime. Any way most manufacturers advise resizing and maybe I do it because it feels like the right thing to do. I have also found how do I say this new store bought ammo some time not to be in specs usually too short. I just put it aside and load it with others the same size. Now keep in mind I am not using them to shoot match I am not in that league. I just like to reload and shoot the best I can.

backyardtndeer

I have also found how do I say this new store bought ammo some time not to be in specs usually too short.
Back around the time of Sandy hook, I bought several federal bulk packs of loaded 223. Most of that brass was between 1.734 and 1.74. I mainly bought that stuff to shoot and reload the brass. Had no idea it would be that out of spec. The stuff ran fine, was good to let the kids practice with. I have quite a bit of 223 lake city brass, I use that for my precision loads.