Brass and bullet trade thread

backyardtndeer

What this is doing is pricing the little man out so he can't reload or just go to the gun range for some fun. It is getting to be a rich mans sport real quick.
I am certainly not rich. Just would be willing to spend a few cents more to build a round than I normally would. I prefer to look at this as a gamble. Question is do you really believe prices and availability will ever go back to where they were 2 years ago. I am of the belief it is only going to get worse given what is taking place. I sincerely hope I am wrong.

KPH

I am certainly not rich. Just would be willing to spend a few cents more to build a round than I normally would. I prefer to look at this as a gamble. Question is do you really believe prices and availability will ever go back to where they were 2 years ago. I am of the belief it is only going to get worse given what is taking place. I sincerely hope I am wrong.
2 years ago I bought the same primers for $24.00 a thousand and now to see a place having them for $124.00 a thousand and YOU don't think this is outrageous and are willing to pay that is what is outrageous. No I don't believe they will come back down to what they where two years ago but to buy at the high price they are now is just feeding the problem.

backyardtndeer

2 years ago I bought the same primers for $24.00 a thousand
I have not been reloading all that long, but I know for certain that I have never paid $24 per thousand. Matter of fact I am pretty sure the Remington primers I bought 10 years ago were around $35 per thousand.

and now to see a place having them for $124.00 a thousand and YOU don't think this is outrageous and are willing to pay that is what is outrageous.
No, I never said it was not outrageous. I am not the enemy here, please don't make assumptions about what I think. I merely looked at the cost of primers in the bigger picture and realize it is but one part of what goes into the total cost. It is ridiculous the gouging that is going on and how other members of the shooting community are taking advantage.

One lb imr 4895 will yield roughly 320 rds @24.8 grs, cost I last paid for imr 4895 was $24.99 with shipping and haz mat fees was probably around $30, so say what 10 cents a round into powder?

Bullets per 1000, I paid I think $89 for 55 grain soft points. 9 cents per rd. Find them now for that.

Primers now at $124 per 1000, so 12.4 cents per rd versus 3.5 cents per rd. So I would be paying 9 cents per rd more to have it and KNOW I have it, IF I were to buy them at that price.

So the question I asked to you was is it worth it to you to take the risk OF NOT having versus paying a little more a round. For me the answer is simple. I will eat a little more to know I will have it for my kids for the future. At no more than 9 additional cents a round it is not going to break me.

KPH

I have not been reloading all that long, but I know for certain that I have never paid $24 per thousand. Matter of fact I am pretty sure the Remington primers I bought 10 years ago were around $35 per thousand.

No, I never said it was not outrageous. I am not the enemy here, please don't make assumptions about what I think. I merely looked at the cost of primers in the bigger picture and realize it is but one part of what goes into the total cost. It is ridiculous the gouging that is going on and how other members of the shooting community are taking advantage.

One lb imr 4895 will yield roughly 320 rds @24.8 grs, cost I last paid for imr 4895 was $24.99 with shipping and haz mat fees was probably around $30, so say what 10 cents a round into powder?

Bullets per 1000, I paid I think $89 for 55 grain soft points. 9 cents per rd. Find them now for that.

Primers now at $124 per 1000, so 12.4 cents per rd versus 3.5 cents per rd. So I would be paying 9 cents per rd more to have it and KNOW I have it, IF I were to buy them at that price.

So the question I asked to you was is it worth it to you to take the risk OF NOT having versus paying a little more a round. For me the answer is simple. I will eat a little more to know I will have it for my kids for the future. At no more than 9 additional cents a round it is not going to break me.
IMG_0963.jpgI don't care about fuzzy math all I know $124.00 is over kill. That 1000 cost me $23.99

backyardtndeer

I don't care about fuzzy math all I know $124.00 is over kill. That 1000 cost me $23.99
Nothing fuzzy about it. By your own example punch it in a calculator. 124-23.99 last I checked is exactly 100.01. That is a whopping 10.001 cents more a round.

You don't have to buy any at that price. Wait, maybe they will come back down. Or nobody else will buy anymore.

Mausermeister

I had a guy wanting to buy some small rifle primers I was trying to trade for small pistol primers yesterday. I did not want to sell, but he insisted. So I gave him a "Go away and leave me alone" price. He bought 5000 and wanted more. OH, well. I turned around and bought a like new Kimber 9mm 1911 I've had my eye on and still have $400 cash.

KPH

Nothing fuzzy about it. By your own example punch it in a calculator. 124-23.99 last I checked is exactly 100.01. That is a whopping 10.001 cents more a round.

You don't have to buy any at that price. Wait, maybe they will come back down. Or nobody else will buy anymore.
What I can't believe is there is not more outrage over the price gouging and when you have a jump like this it is price gouging. But many go along with it like sheep to the slaughter.

fairchaser

It's simple supply vs demand. All the primers are going into ammo. Ammo is being bought or hoarded by those fearful that the new regime will make it more difficult to own guns. Now you have to ask yourself when that scenario will change. I say at least two years before the interim elections. I don't see prices coming down soon. There are dozens of different powders, hundreds of different bullets, but only 6-8 different primers; Small and large rifle, small and large pistol, magnum and shotgun. They are used for everything.

DaveB

in 2019 I bit the bullet and very grudgingly paid nearly $200.00 for 5,000 of Mr. Federal's 215M magnum primers (includes shipping haz mat and sales tax)

I included them in my Will. Might trade even up for a Ford GT.

TNBillyEarl

I'm in need of some 7mm (284) 140g bullets. Accubonds, Fusions, or Barnes TSX. I'm trying to find that magic load for my 7mm-08... I'm sure I can find something to trade you, even money.

UPDATE: Found, thanks...

-B

Last edited:

backyardtndeer

Got a midsouth notification for .264 eld x at 11:52 am, by the time I checked a little after 12 they were out of stock again already. Email notifications for re stock would be great, if I didn't keep missing out.

WGK

Im in need of .308 brass. Ive got more pistol brass than I will ever use, some I don't even have a gun chambered for lol. I would be willing to trade 3 rds of any pistol brass that I have for 1 once fired round of 308 brass. Ive got 380, 9mm, 38, 357, 45 acp, 44 special, etc.... Most of what Ive got has been tumbled already too. PM or post here if anybody wants to do some trading!
I have 308 brass but I really need lil gun powder. Send me a PM and we will talk.

Huntaholic

I have 308 brass but I really need lil gun powder. Send me a PM and we will talk.
I found some already. If the powder youre needing is "lil gun" however, I do have a pound of it that I have no use for. I MAYBE used 200 grains out of the whole pound when I first got my smokeless MZ, then I moved on to a different powder for it. What else you got to trade on? I need primers most of all!

Latest posts