UPDATED box call recommendation

REN

full disclosure I know all I a man should know about pot calls and diaphragms, however I have just never cared for box calls or wanted to use one.......till recently lol.

thinking about switching it up some this year and getting one to carry every now and then. Ive used a few Halloran ones and actually really like them but dont care to spend $145 on a call I plan to use sparingly (unless someone has one they are willing to get ride of on a deal)

any other recommendations out there for others a little cheaper but have the same type qualitys of that those (sturdy, doesnt feel cheap, sounds good, non production HS Strut or primos type)

UPDATE - got my call from Bill today and wow man it blew away my expectations on quality of build and overall look (looks even better then his website) and sounds amazing. He was one of the nicest fellows to talk to on the phone (reminds me a lot when I use to call and talk to Harold Fowler on the phone).

I called and asked me what he recommended based on what I wanted sound wise and placed the order. He called me that night saying after he ran the call before shipping he didnt feel it had the rasp I was looking for and said he would rather send me a slightly different one if I trusted him to do so.

Again the overall quality is amazing and after seeing it and playing it I wouldnt ever guess he charges as little as he does for his calls. The inlay and design is just fantastic wood work. Any one looking for a box to try out I highly suggest him or at least just call and chat with him. http://www.bbcustomboxcalls.com/

Last edited:

Kevo222

I second the Turpin recommendation. I have a box and trumpet from him and love them. I've known him for a while and he does good work.

Disclosure: I suck at turkey hunting but it has worked well enough for me to call in many birds, the best one when my son was able get his first.

Kevo222

I second the Turpin recommendation. I have a box and trumpet from him and love them. I've known him for a while and he does good work.

Disclosure: I suck at turkey hunting but it has worked well enough for me to call in many birds, the best one when my son was able get his first.
1679494377968.png

Southern Sportsman

Except for rainy days, I basically always cary a box. I rarely "finish" a bird with it, but I strike a lot with it. I've been carrying a woodhaven "Real Hen" for about 12 years and have no plans to replace it.

Rakkin6

For under $125.00 check out Jeff McKamey at Twisted Creek Calls (he is a Tennessee guy also) also:

Jeff White Custom Calls
Spring Creek Calls
SS Custom Calls

If you can spend a little more look at:

TJ Johnson
Ernie Fetters
Matt Fulkerson
Richard Hudson

REN

For under $125.00 check out Jeff McKamey at Twisted Creek Calls (he is a Tennessee guy also) also:

Jeff White Custom Calls
Spring Creek Calls
SS Custom Calls

If you can spend a little more look at:

TJ Johnson
Ernie Fetters
Matt Fulkerson
Richard Hudson

Ss customs seems more in my price range lol. Never seen much of his work though. May try and call him

Bone Collector

I don't own one, but have been intrigued too. I have looked up many that people on here have talked about. Most run $200-$500, but I've seen them as high as $700 (I think because the call maker is dead). Apparently they are harder to manufacture than a pot call.

Halloran let me run one of his at the NWTF a few years back. His dad actually showed me how, because I didn't know how. Within 30 seconds, I was running it and sounded great. Back then they were $150. I bet their more now. 😂

good luck let us know what you get.

REN

Well I decided on one lol. And Yes Boll thats my main desire is to use it to start and finish with a mouth call or pot. Talked to Bill on the phone today (Super nice guy) and went with his Purple Heart/Cherry shot box (but designed like a long box)

wayne

Woodhaven Cherry box and Quaker Boy Supreme Grade Grand Old Master.
Had both for longer than I can remember.

Rakkin6

Well I decided on one lol. And Yes Boll thats my main desire is to use it to start and finish with a mouth call or pot. Talked to Bill on the phone today (Super nice guy) and went with his Purple Heart/Cherry shot box (but designed like a long box)

Good deal, he makes a nice copper pot call also. Got my first tube call from him too. Still messing with that thing.

Latest posts