Bowriter,RSIMMS, and Gil

Fordman

I know we are all SEOPA members and you guys are TOWA members but, Does anyone belong to the OWAA or POMA? If so why and if not why not? Just weighing my options and wonders if the money yo join them would be well spent or thrown away?

rsimms

I've never joined the national organizations, primarily because it would be quite rare for me to be able to take the time, or expense, to attend conventions in faraway places. In my opinion the best reason to join such groups is for the "networking opportunities." Attending annual SEOPA conferences (which is sometimes a struggle) has opened a lot of doors for me as an outdoor writer, and for my fishing guide business. It is well worth it. And the writing/photography competitions are always fun, and good for your ego if you win something. There might be similar long-distance opportunities with the national groups, but I've never explored them. I've always felt that real, beneficial networking can only be done face-to-face... with either a good stiff drink (Sloan's forte'), or a fishing rod (my forte'), in your hand. Someday when I have time to be able to travel to the "national" conferences, I might get involved.

bowriter

R.I.P.
I am a former member of both OWAA and POMA. I did not renew my membership because as I scaled back writing, I just couldn't justify the dues versus the benefit. SEOPA is the only organization I belong to now and it seems to fit my needs quite well.

gil1

After joining TOWA and SEOPA, I thought about POMA and OWAA but just never did it because of travel constraints. I may still do so just for fun, but I doubt I'd go to meetings. I love the banquets, and it's nice to get a little $ on the side if lucky in the contests. Frankly, I don't take my writing career seriously enough to care about contacts that much, but I like to learn things in the classes and meet other outdoor writer friends for fun anyway. I probably never would have met Richard and John otherwise, but I'd still consider joining anyway. :D

Fordman

OK lets repose the question then... If you could only belong to one, either SEOPA or TOWA, which would it be. I got a couple letters from TOWA asking why I was not a member and have been contemplating joining both. However if it was one only I would say SEOPA as I find the news letter very enlightening and helpful.

gil1

Well, SEOPA is better in every way. Bigger, better programs, more people with connections, more fun. If only one, join SEOPA.

But I like TOWA too, and it's always only a short drive to hang out with some quality people once a year.