Bow Ordered

Weegee

Just placed an order for a takedown recurve with 45# limbs. I also got kits with various arrow spines and field point weights to see which combination will fly the best. I figure if it goes really badly I'll take it to a pro shop but I'd like to see if I can DIY it first. Any advice on bare shaft tuning?

eddie c

Ok, I'm going to give you my opinion. Unless the pro shop specializes in traditional bows, you'll waste your time and money with them.
I will have to look for some articles for trad how tuning since I got mine figured out a few years ago and even then I recently swapped the standard insert out to a brass 100gr insert and improved my flight.
What spines and point weights are in your test kit?

TN Song Dog

Eddie C is mostly right. I will say that the Sportsman Store in Dickson has a few guys that shoot trad bows a lot, or at least they did about 7 years ago.

You can try out the spine calculator on 3Rivers website. Something around 500 spine, full length, with 125gr tips will probably be close. Going even heavier on the points or using weighted inserts and then adjusting stiffness accordingly by length and/or stepping up a stiffness will give you a good FOC setup for hunting penitration.

Weegee

Ok, I'm going to give you my opinion. Unless the pro shop specializes in traditional bows, you'll waste your time and money with them.
I will have to look for some articles for trad how tuning since I got mine figured out a few years ago and even then I recently swapped the standard insert out to a brass 100gr insert and improved my flight.
What spines and point weights are in your test kit?
The shafts are from 300-600 spine, mostly in increments of 100. The points are from 100g to 250g.

morgancountry

Eddie c gave some great advice. Disregard if you have been shooting traditional a while and already know this, but you'll need to focus on form and being able to shoot a good group out to about 15 or 20 yards or trying to bare shaft tune will be a struggle. Ask me how I know lol. Check out Clay Hayes videos on YouTube. He's a great resource for all things traditional. He has a couple videos on tuning as well

tree_ghost

Congrats on the purchase! I'm new so I can't offer much in the way of shooting advice but I'd watch "the push" on YouTube. Excellent trad bow information! I also just purchase "masters of the bare bow" 1-4 from the trad shoot at BuckHollow last weekend. Great stuff in there too.

eddie c

Eddie c gave some great advice. Disregard if you have been shooting traditional a while and already know this, but you'll need to focus on form and being able to shoot a good group out to about 15 or 20 yards or trying to bare shaft tune will be a struggle. Ask me how I know lol. Check out Clay Hayes videos on YouTube. He's a great resource for all things traditional. He has a couple videos on tuning as well
I watch a lot oh CH myself.
Watch some of The Push also.

Weegee

I'm liking the Clay Hayes stuff I've watched so far. I've got my bow set up and have a 30 min lesson with a local archery range scheduled. I don't like the brass knock points that I put on, though. The special pliers that I got chewed them all to hell and I'm pretty sure when I release they are going to cut me. Need to get some serving and use that method instead, I think.

morgancountry

I'm liking the Clay Hayes stuff I've watched so far. I've got my bow set up and have a 30 min lesson with a local archery range scheduled. I don't like the brass knock points that I put on, though. The special pliers that I got chewed them all to hell and I'm pretty sure when I release they are going to cut me. Need to get some serving and use that method instead, I think.
Yeah I started tying mine on with serving. There are a couple different ways to do it. But it's the best way to tune your knock height, then when you get it set, just a dab of super glue is all you need to lock it down.

Weegee

Had a 30 min lesson yesterday with Music City Archery in Franklin. The guy who taught my lesson works in the pro shop. He said their clients are about 50/50 target shooters and hunters, which seems to be a good sign. I have a loooot of practicing to do...

Latest posts