Bobcats

Seems like it has been years since I have seen a good bobcat. Any pics out there and locations? Used to see a ton of them and last year I have seen one in Cheatham County was in 2012. Best hunt was in Putnam county in 1996 and saw a mom and kits. Four kits. Was good to watch them in the snow. See plenty of coyotes but nothing like a bobcat to get you excited!

Stu

I see a few every year from my stand. This year i watched 10 turkeys chase after a young bobcat right past my stand. The cat didnt seem very alarmed but it was something to see
40be2f79a3fd421fc40daa1a3e5c2e18.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

SBS

We saw them often in the late '80s and saw some in the early '90s but now I only see one every 2-4 years. The population seemed to fall as the coyote numbers rose. This is based mainly on sightings on private land in Madison County.

X-Tennessean

This is the first year I have not seen one while deer hunting. We usually kill 1 or 2 every season, pretty exciting to see one chasing a swamp rabbit through the bottom!!

Andy S.

I see them occasionally, and pick them up from time to time on my trail cams, however, I do not shoot them. The only way I would kill one is to get it mounted. This is in Fayette and Hardeman counties.

Mike Belt

I generally see 2 or 3 every deer season. I never shoot them and if I did, like Andy, it would be to get one mounted. I just think they're neat to watch.

TNTreeman

I see several every yr here in Williamson cty. Hunting this yr saw one catch a mouse and eat it in front of me. Like a previous post I caught a young cat walking through a small food plot and squatting and peeing and 3 turkeys running it off. It was caught on a trail cam, I didn't see it live. I had found several wads of dove feathers in that plot and assumed the cats were hunting it regularly. I never thought turkeys would go after a bobcat and I'm glad someone has seen it.

jpierce111

I have hunted for 35 years. Have only been blessed to have bobcats come by me twice in that time.
The last was within 20yds. this past bow season.
What a magnificent creature. If we had the stealth and instincts of them there wouldn't be a deer left in the woods.
I could never think of killing one because I would not want to eat bobcat. I do not kill something just for a trophy.
What really bothers me are those who would shoot every one they see without hesitation and brag about it.
Like they are doing a service to us all. Bull#*&@ !!
If they are a threat to your livestock or pets I see the need. Don't think you are doing the world a favor by eliminating one of God's most beautiful creations.

Keep the pictures coming of bobcats. Very good to see them in the woods. Never heard of turkeys chasing them. Learn something new every day. And agree no reason to shoot them unless to mount in trophy room. Can't imagine they are too much a threat to turkey population more the coyotes. Saw two coyotes kill a turkey a few years ago. Anyone seen a cougar? I know TWRA was trying to trap one in the mid to late 90's in Davidson County off River Road but not sure of any official sightings.

hunter0925

I saw quite a few this year and killed 2. The small female I killed because she was killing the landowners waterfowl and the male I killed specifically for mounting. The female was a normal size cat around 17 pounds. The male was good sized at 28 pounds.

Shanman

They are one of our coolest critters, exceptional hunters, and a turkey killing machine. Always suprised how many people believe that they are a rare animal, we actually have more cats than red fox. When the yotes moved into the eastern half of the state they really hurt the red fox population, most of our reds are found along waterways, yotes pretty much dominate everywhere else such as farmland and wooded areas. As I've been told by several experienced trappers, the cat population goes hand and hand with the turkey population. Thank goodness our turkeys don't run a cycle like the hares in Alaska, every 9yrs. the hare population crashes and the lynx population follows suit. Then the population of both rises until the next 9yr. crash. Cats are mainly nocturnal and very secretive plus they are so quite, not like a yote you hear trotting through the woods and then look at. I bet a lot of cats sneek by hunters unnoticed, special treat to watch them for sure. Large males really spook deer and I don't believe any cat would pass up a new born fawn. Turkeys are at the top of their list though.

tahtah

I used to see 1-2 bobcats every bow season, but haven't seen one in several years. I watched one once come out on a log, sit in the sun and groom itself for about 15 minutes. Very cool. I've seen them come walking along and once they cross my trail go into super stealth mode and disappear. Had one walk directly under my stand, that's when it picked up my scent and looked straight up at me. It couldn't figure out what I was, didn't run, but sure made a quick and silent exit. When the squirrels realize one is in the woods, they all start barking.

Two young bobcats darted out in front of my truck one year. I swerved and missed the first one, but clipped the second. Killed it instantly, without a mark on it. I had that one mounted.

I love watching them and wouldn't shoot one.

X-Tennessean

Shanman":1u09gnf4 said:
They are one of our coolest critters, exceptional hunters, and a turkey killing machine. Always suprised how many people believe that they are a rare animal, we actually have more cats than red fox. When the yotes moved into the eastern half of the state they really hurt the red fox population, most of our reds are found along waterways, yotes pretty much dominate everywhere else such as farmland and wooded areas. As I've been told by several experienced trappers, the cat population goes hand and hand with the turkey population. Thank goodness our turkeys don't run a cycle like the hares in Alaska, every 9yrs. the hare population crashes and the lynx population follows suit. Then the population of both rises until the next 9yr. crash. Cats are mainly nocturnal and very secretive plus they are so quite, not like a yote you hear trotting through the woods and then look at. I bet a lot of cats sneek by hunters unnoticed, special treat to watch them for sure. Large males really spook deer and I don't believe any cat would pass up a new born fawn. Turkeys are at the top of their list though.

I agree!! They will kill a turkey, rabbit, quail in a heart beat!! I feel there are way more out there than what is seen for reasons you mentioned. Are they as thick as yotes.....prolly not, but I don't think they are as thin in population as most think.

The one I killed (finally) chasing the swamp rabbit was pretty exciting to see, I tried videoing it but never could get a stable view! That rabbit was squealing like it had been caught and the cat never did catch it but came really close a time or two.

Boone 58

We have plenty in Wayne county and we shot 2 or three and a friend has trapped one or two. I missed an opportunity to shoot one during gun season but the thing was barely bigger than a house cat and in a hurry.