Boat winterizing

Deer 1

Do you do it? What do you do? What's the average lowest temp where your boat is?

They are calling for 28 for my area 2 tines next week. Not super cold but good motivation

Chiflyguy

Do you do it? What do you do? What's the average lowest temp where your boat is?

They are calling for 28 for my area 2 tines next week. Not super cold but good motivation
Winterizing is more for us up north guys who would put the boat up for the winter.
Fog the engine, run Stabil in the gas.
Make sure the water is out of it.
Heck, we used to run our boats on the Illinois river in January at 10 degrees.
Just made sure to get the water out of the cooling system.
Ever fish with a snow shovel in the boat?
😉

Gravey

Mine is going to the dealer tomorrow. It's an inboard v-drive and I don't want any water in there. When the warranty runs out I'll probably do it myself. My metal barn isn't heated so if it freezes and the block cracks it's about $25k to replace from what I understand. Growing up and fishing in my granddad's bass tracker he fished all year. When the motor is down the water runs out so nothing to freeze.

BuckWild

Mine is going to the dealer tomorrow. It's an inboard v-drive and I don't want any water in there. When the warranty runs out I'll probably do it myself. My metal barn isn't heated so if it freezes and the block cracks it's about $25k to replace from what I understand. Growing up and fishing in my granddad's bass tracker he fished all year. When the motor is down the water runs out so nothing to freeze.
Naaw...about $15k to replace. Ask me how I know. :mad:

WTM

i dont really winterize my fishing boat. i just make sure the water gets drained when i pull it out of the water in winter. if youre not using it over winter id go ahead and service it and fog the engine. keep in mind fogger will foul plugs sometimes. that way when spring comes youre ret to go. just hook a hose up and run the fogger out. you should be running a fuel stabalizer all year long too. just make sure the tank is topped off.

dont forget the batteries either. winter kills batteries if you dont keep them serviced and charged. theyll discharge faster in severe winter and hottest summer than any other time if the year.

Last edited:

agelessssone

I use my deckboat all year round to guide here around Nashville.
It has a V6 inboard so I put a space heater in the engine bay and plug it in when I get home....
I have a monitor sending unit in the engine bay and the receiver on the coffee table next to my recliner so I can see at a glance what temp the engine bay is.
And before folks start jumping on the "What if the electric goes out" bandwagon, I've lived here for 11 years and we've never lost electricity for more than an hour at a time and that is usually in the summer during bad storms.
And it's not often that our temperature drops much below freezing.

Canyonfish

On an outboard, motor all the way down so no water resides in the foot and freezes. Pull kill switch and bump over the motor briefly to blow out any remaining water in impeller and cooling lines, in addition to the above.

Latest posts