Boat trailer repair

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I dunno if they are called bunks or guides or what but the carpet needed replacing 2 years ago.
I let it ride but last weekend one of the bolts came out so I decided it was time.
I don't know who put these cotton picking staples in but I estimated 237,322 of them are in each side.
The bolts are put in from the inside and tend to hang your butt cheek so when i put them back after I cover them I am going with lag screws.
I got almost done pulling staples out of one side today.
Lol would have been easier to buy new boards but that costs money and there really wasn't anything wrong with the wood.
2355d1d003a0d34db7824484a4f5d845.jpg
a49be17d5dc406c747a1e0174659c097.jpg
131a8ee6af51e7cd05101351b27e805e.jpg

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

Headhunter

Ruger, I went ahead and got new wood. The time it saves alone was worth it to me. I passed and will pass on pulling all those staples.

Amazon had pretty good deal on bunk carpet. 50' on a roll, don't remember price but it was best I found.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I got more time than money so I pulled them. LOL

It's not as heavy as I would have bought but I still have enough carpet left over from where I re-did the inside of my boat so I am gonna just use that.
It lacks about 3" of being long enough but I figure I can wrap one end about 6" long then cover it again from the front side so the wind won't catch the seam.
It will serve it's purpose and look better than what I got now so it should be good. :)

I really need to sand my trailer down and paint it too but I hate to lose my decals on my trailer but it does need a coat of paint bad so I will probably start on that before long.

chris1976

Pilchard":3ib0f8tc said:
Hammer staples flat. You're welcome.
yep, I learned that after pulling up carpet in a house I was remodeling. After pulling staples for hours it dawned on me. Doh!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Pilchard":17gq1o0v said:
Hammer staples flat. You're welcome.

You are definitely correct but I would much rather have them gone.
Did the same thing when I redid our first house and pulled the carpet up.

Pilchard

On a different note, there should be no staples on the side of your bunks that face the hull. The carpet should be stretched tight and only staples on the back side of the wood. May not be a big deal with an aluminum hull but fiberglass is a different story.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Pilchard":1pio58x3 said:
On a different note, there should be no staples on the side of your bunks that face the hull. The carpet should be stretched tight and only staples on the back side of the wood. May not be a big deal with an aluminum hull but fiberglass is a different story.

Definitely!
I am gonna tack it on the bottom myself.
Just so I can hide them better.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Headhunter":22axfijn said:
Ruger I used indoor/carpet glue on the side that faces my boat.
Yep I always use glue as well as tacks, staples or whatever the spot calls for.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
double browtine":18pj2cfg said:
I replaced mine several years ago. I used 3/4" roofing nails to hold the carpet on though. The staples would not hold it good enough.
Exactly what I used. Lol

Latest posts